Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wright & Elbert Hubbard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrairieMod

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Wright & Elbert Hubbard Reply with quote

We recently posted on Elbert Hubbard & the Roycrofters at PrairieMod: http://prairiemod.typepad.com/prairiemod/2006/04/produce_great_p.html

We haven't been able to confirm anything yet, but we're looking into any solid connections between Wright & Hubbard. We do know that Hubbard was the mentor of Darwin Martin and that he was also an in-law to the Larkin family. Since there was a close connection between Hubbard & Martin and Martin & Wright....we wonder if and how these great men's paths crossed. We're they influenced by one another?

Does anyone have information or insights that could be shared?
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meryle Secrest discussed FLLW's relationship with Hubbard in the chapter, "A House Divided," in her biography on Wright:
Quote:
Hubbard, with his dashing appearance, his conversational gifts, his eternal curiousity and hi smost magical ability to capture the world's attention, was, John Lloyd Wright remembered, a frequent visitor to their Oak Park home. He and Wright talked art, poetery and philosophy by the house, John wrote [in his book, My Father, Frank Lloyd Wright]..." p. 159, from the 1993 paperback edition of Frank Lloyd Wright: A Biography.

"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
JimM

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubbard certainly had a leg up on Frank much sooner as far as individualistic dress, creating an artists community, etc. Without a doubt, Wright's familiarity with Hubbard had an influence on him and his original intenions for the Fellowship years later. Catherine Wright and a few of the children are on record guests at the Roycroft Inn, but apparently with no direct connection to Frank.

Felix Shay's book on Hubbard "Elbert Hubbard of East Aurora" chronicles many contemporary notables who made the "pilgrimage" to see Fra Elbertus. Frank is not mentioned, but that does not necessarily mean they never met. I believe they must have at some point during the Martin commision, since East Aurora is so close. A note from Hubbard to Martin mentions that he was well aware of "Brother Wright of Oak Park". While they were both mavericks in their day, Hubbard was the true eccentric (if a very rich one!). He also unfortunately went down with the Lusitania.

Years ago I donated back a Roycroft article my grandmother gave me (yes, I still kick myself). It was on display in the dining room for years.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally kick myself, as well. I had a books on Hubbard and Fr
JimM

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpringGreen wrote:
a frequent visitor to their Oak Park home.

Well, there you are!
JimM

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant wrote:
connecting the Fellowship to the Roycrofters specifically may be stretching a point. There were all sorts of Utopian groups of that sort in the U. S. in the late 19th Century

I suppose that was the context I should have noted; since those so inclined would also have been well aware of others. Perhaps stretching as applied only to the Fellowship, but still an influence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: