Wright like in San Rafael

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

What a great narrative, and built by an owner with no building experience? Amazing, and wonderful to hear about a home like this staying with the original owner for many years.

JPB_1971

Post by JPB_1971 »

What a beautiful, wonderfully maintained home. I'm sure one could just marvel at all the intricate details and level of craftsmanship for days...

And, as SDR states above, this seems pretty fairly priced for the expensive Marin County RE market...given over one-third acre lot size and neighborhood!

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

http://sanfrancisco.tvoa.net/address.ph ... rty_ID=712

Another example of her work..from seeing the Winters home, I can only imagine what this might have looked like prior to the "meticulous renovation.."
KevinW

Deke

Post by Deke »

It's such a treat to discover a designer I'd never heard of before. Both house look terrific. Any way to see more of her work? Is there an archive somewhere?

Deke

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I believe she moved to Southern California, I just emailed Earl to see if she is still around.
KevinW

SDR

Post by SDR »

Harry Winters: "Asked to look back at age 86 on his experience building the house, he says he doesn't know how he did what he did."

That may sound foolish to the inexperienced, but let me tell you, it rings true to me. I look at work I did only five or ten years ago, and that's my reaction, in some cases . . . !

I'm going to have to check this one out for myself. Wish I had known about Mr Winters a year ago.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

BARNETT, VANCE and MARY JO
303 Oak, San Anselmo, CA 94960
[Howe, Brown, Genz, Stricker]

... that's all there is in the Taliesin Fellowship Directory. No dates. I've never heard of her before, never a mention by Geiger or any of the other apprentices I've known. She deserves attention; her work is meticulous.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

From Indira at T-West...Mary Joy is deceased, last she heard Vance was in the Carmel area, but that was a few years ago. They apprenticed in 1951-52. Her husband was a builder and engineer and she would do the design for the homes he would build...so sounds like there should more of her work out there.
KevinW

Scott T.

Post by Scott T. »

The address provided by Roderick Grant is the same as the white, sculptural house for sale myLiebermeisterAGG provided the link to. Despite the "meticulous renovation," it's a glimpse at how the Barnetts designed and built with themselves as the client.

jay

Post by jay »

Stumbled upon this home on a Google image search.... Looks like the original link in this thread is down, so here it is:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/201- ... 5470_zpid/
I'd love to see the other home by Mary Joy Barnett that was linked, which is also now down... Does anyone know the address or have images to share?

Interesting to see whole plywood sheets used as wall material. What a wonderful house.

peterm

Post by peterm »

That’s what I’m talking about!...

Tom

Post by Tom »

She's a beauty.
(don't think others would have called for the same brick tho...)
"taste is less important than non-conformity"
FLLW

SDR

Post by SDR »

Mmm. There are other coarse-textured bricks that might have been chosen; these are a bit too much of a contrast to the almost-too-precious ribbon mahogany.

But that's quibbling; this one gets so much right. Don't you wonder whether we would have got to this without Wright's example ? Probably some other
combination of enriched MCM material, form and detail. But we are so lucky that he existed to bestow on us his "formula," in its endless varieties . . .

and that's just the tangibles. Wright was really what Schindler decided in 1911 he would be: a "space architect." And shortly he found Wright, who he saw "was
a man who had taken hold of this new medium." ("Space Architecture," RMS, 1934)

SDR