Wright like in San Rafael

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
egads

Wright like in San Rafael

Post by egads »

This listing was posted over at Lotta Living:

http://www.marinmodern.com/idx/resident ... tails.html

The Realtor does not name the actual architect, and only says that it's design is based on Wright's principals. In this case I don't think that's a stretch. Anybody know who done it?

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

this should be investigated further, as it appears to be the work of one of the apprentices.....

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

wow..thats nice, very nice. There were many former apprentices in Nor Cal in the late 1950's...looks in beautiful condition, even has hassocks, etc...beautiful home.
KevinW

SDR

Post by SDR »

Gee whiz, that's gorgeous. Unknown architect ? We're missing somebody, clearly. I don't believe it's anybody obvious, such as Olof Dahlstrand or . . . who ? Hmph . . .

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

The realtor, Cari Gennarelli, confirms that the architect was a student of FLW. Unfortunately he did not give me his name.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, we're all students of Wright here . . . !

SDR

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

This is a wonderful Usonian with first-rate craftsmanship....wow! I wonder if the realtor knows the name of the apprentice? Mr. Ringstrom, could your powers of persuasion be effective with the realtor? I believe the listing notes a construction date of 1958.

I don't believe this house is one of the designs by Olof Dahlstrand based upon the book I have about his work, but I'll double-check to make sure.

EP

SDR

Post by SDR »

No, this is someone else, who (even more than Dahlstrand) absorbed the orthodoxy of the second or third-generation Usonian -- minus the board-and-sunk-batten detail -- and applied it to his own needs. Unique elements are few: I don't recall a Wright house with obscure-glass glazing, and Wright Usonians with a butted-glass inside corner (as seen near the dining table of this house) must be quite rare. The cabinetry, with its signature pulls, are probably unique as well. But the faithful application of Wright's own formal and material choices is otherwise remarkable, I'd say.

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I have asked the Realtor for the architect's name but have not received a reply yet.

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

That is a real beauty! I don't know the area at all--how's the price compared to the neighborhood? From a distance, it seems pretty reasonable, for as pristine as the condition looks.

SDR

Post by SDR »

From what little I know about real estate prices in the area, this seems like something close to a bargain . . .

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

I'm smitten...
Looks like a house HB would have clambered to publish in the Elizabeth Gordon/John deKoven Hill days. Sadly, its all too rare to see a 1958 house like this that hasn't been mucked up.

Is the vanity mirror canted back to allow facial reflection even with a lower mounting height?...presumably to allow the natural light from the eave window above it? Slicko!

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I'm going to take a guess that the house was designed by Lois Gottlieb.
KevinW

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Earl Nisbet thinks the Architect could be Mary Joy Barnett, who was an apprentice the same time as Earl..early 1950's, and practiced in Marin County.
KevinW

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Earl was correct...Mary Joy Barnett!
http://www.marinmodern.com/blog/201-spr ... afael.html
KevinW