Goetsch-Winkler House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Chickski and Flax, send us what you have, and maybe we can edit it.

Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I sent Florian a bunch of photographs, the original drawings, and a good floor plan. I'm looking forward to seeing the model when completed.
How many escape pods are there? "NONE, SIR!" You counted them? "TWICE, SIR!"

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965

Flax

Post by Flax »

I completed the model a couple of weeks ago but wasn't yet able to take any proper pictures. Here are some snapshots for starters.

Best,

Flax

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

One minor adjustment: At the end of the enclosed yard, the wall is partially open. The battens are in place, but three boards are removed. The top board, almost all the way across, the second, not so much, and the bottom of the three slightly less. There is a published view of this, but I'm not sure in which book.

Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Florian, thanks for publishing the photos of your models - they look great.

Can you explain what the "yellow bananas" are? I'm fascinated by your tiny models, and wonder what they mean. Do you have some sort of written document concerning your models, which you could post here for our edification?

The more I look at this house, this design, and the many pictures I have of the interior, the more and more keen I become to build a version of this house at our forestry farm, on an old river terrace, overlooking a stream, wetlands and a small pond, surrounded by native trees. It really is quite stunning.
How many escape pods are there? "NONE, SIR!" You counted them? "TWICE, SIR!"

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965

Flax

Post by Flax »

Here are some more photos of the model as promised, I think they are better than the published snapshots. As for the tiny models: Unfortunately I haven't any written document to explain the meaning. Any of the models focuses on a certain feature in Wright's architecture, e.g. the "yellow bananas" illustrate how the light flows into the rooms, whereas the green one concerns the relationship between interior and exterior. The dissection of all these different aspects helped me very much to really understand the building and Wright's approach to organic architecture.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Thank you for sharing photos of your beautiful, well crafted model. I would be interested in seeing photos of each analysis model.

One of the many wonderful qualities that I admire in many of FLW's projects, like this one, is his economy of means. On his small minor masterpieces, such as this one, every cubic foot space, is skillfully used. When looking at the model, I also amazed at the skill with which windows and solid walls are used and manipulated to take advantage of views and balance natural light in rooms. The processional experience is quite wonderful in this house like many of his Prairie School Houses.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

jhealy

Post by jhealy »

What are Wright's "minor masterpieces?"

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for the photos of your beautiful model, Flax. I like the choice of a monochromatic color; it makes the appreciation of forms much easier.

I am quite surprised that you substituted an alternate corner detail at the exterior board walls; I can't recall seeing this corner in Wright's work, though Schindler used it at the Pueblo Ribera and possibly another of his slip-formed concrete projects of the early 'twenties. Do you prefer this solution technically, over the mitered Usonian corner boards ? There is certainly an argument for that. . .

There is also a slight revision at the conjunction of the lower-level roofs at the chimney mass -- and you won't find a window mullion at the corner of a Usonian window band: Wright found a way to miter the glass there, even if it meant moving the row of mullions off the unit line, I believe !

Here are five of the original Leavenworth's photos of the house, as published in "Affordable Dreams":

In the last photo it can be seen that the carport roof is already out of level, compared to the kitchen window sill !

SDR

nexxjenn

Who is Sargent?

Post by nexxjenn »

rgrant wrote:A floorplan and a photo should be all one needs to do all the elevations and sections needed. The detailing of the system is shown in Sargent's book.

Who is Sargent? And what is the title of the book? Thanks!

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

His name is John Sergeant, and the book is "Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian Houses: The Case for Organic Architecture." (1984) Amazon.com has it for $12.97 paperback.

nexxjenn

Thank you!

Post by nexxjenn »

Roderick Grant wrote:His name is John Sergeant, and the book is "Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian Houses: The Case for Organic Architecture." (1984) Amazon.com has it for $12.97 paperback.

Thank you!