Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Goetsch-Winkler House
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickski and Flax, send us what you have, and maybe we can edit it.
Mobius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent Florian a bunch of photographs, the original drawings, and a good floor plan. I'm looking forward to seeing the model when completed.

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965
Flax

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed the model a couple of weeks ago but wasn't yet able to take any proper pictures. Here are some snapshots for starters.

Best,

Flax

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One minor adjustment: At the end of the enclosed yard, the wall is partially open. The battens are in place, but three boards are removed. The top board, almost all the way across, the second, not so much, and the bottom of the three slightly less. There is a published view of this, but I'm not sure in which book.
Mobius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florian, thanks for publishing the photos of your models - they look great.

Can you explain what the "yellow bananas" are? I'm fascinated by your tiny models, and wonder what they mean. Do you have some sort of written document concerning your models, which you could post here for our edification?

The more I look at this house, this design, and the many pictures I have of the interior, the more and more keen I become to build a version of this house at our forestry farm, on an old river terrace, overlooking a stream, wetlands and a small pond, surrounded by native trees. It really is quite stunning.

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965
Flax

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more photos of the model as promised, I think they are better than the published snapshots. As for the tiny models: Unfortunately I haven't any written document to explain the meaning. Any of the models focuses on a certain feature in Wright's architecture, e.g. the "yellow bananas" illustrate how the light flows into the rooms, whereas the green one concerns the relationship between interior and exterior. The dissection of all these different aspects helped me very much to really understand the building and Wright's approach to organic architecture.

pharding

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing photos of your beautiful, well crafted model. I would be interested in seeing photos of each analysis model.

One of the many wonderful qualities that I admire in many of FLW's projects, like this one, is his economy of means. On his small minor masterpieces, such as this one, every cubic foot space, is skillfully used. When looking at the model, I also amazed at the skill with which windows and solid walls are used and manipulated to take advantage of views and balance natural light in rooms. The processional experience is quite wonderful in this house like many of his Prairie School Houses.
jhealy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are Wright's "minor masterpieces?"
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos of your beautiful model, Flax. I like the choice of a monochromatic color; it makes the appreciation of forms much easier.

I am quite surprised that you substituted an alternate corner detail at the exterior board walls; I can't recall seeing this corner in Wright's work, though Schindler used it at the Pueblo Ribera and possibly another of his slip-formed concrete projects of the early 'twenties. Do you prefer this solution technically, over the mitered Usonian corner boards ? There is certainly an argument for that. . .

There is also a slight revision at the conjunction of the lower-level roofs at the chimney mass -- and you won't find a window mullion at the corner of a Usonian window band: Wright found a way to miter the glass there, even if it meant moving the row of mullions off the unit line, I believe !

Here are five of the original Leavenworth's photos of the house, as published in "Affordable Dreams":

In the last photo it can be seen that the carport roof is already out of level, compared to the kitchen window sill !

SDR
nexxjenn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Who is Sargent? Reply with quote

rgrant wrote:
A floorplan and a photo should be all one needs to do all the elevations and sections needed. The detailing of the system is shown in Sargent's book.

Who is Sargent? And what is the title of the book? Thanks!
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His name is John Sergeant, and the book is "Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian Houses: The Case for Organic Architecture." (1984) Amazon.com has it for $12.97 paperback.
nexxjenn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Roderick Grant wrote:
His name is John Sergeant, and the book is "Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian Houses: The Case for Organic Architecture." (1984) Amazon.com has it for $12.97 paperback.

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: