Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Demise of a Chicago Landmark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharding

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Demise of a Chicago Landmark Reply with quote

Today at approximately 11 pm the last patron left the Berghoff Restaurant in Chicago's Loop. Today was the last day for the Berghoff. This 100 plus year old Chicago institution has the distinction of having Chicago Liquor License No. 1. I have been a patron for 27 years. As a 27 year old architect I came to Chicago for an interview with Skidmore Ownings and Merrill. After I was offered a job, a young Studio Head named Craig Hartman took my wife and I out for a wonderful lunch at the Berghoff. I was impressed with everything. I can remember thinking that this is what it is like to make it to the Big Time. Over the years I can remmber telling numerous people that it was my favorite restaurant in the world and I sincerely meant it. I dined there with my mom and dad, brothers, in-laws, co-workers, friends, clients, guests for my daughter's graduation from grad school, countless out of town guests, numerous times with my wife and kids, etc. For me it was the epitomy of Chicago. It was this wonderful melting pot of Chicago. I will miss it.

Last edited by pharding on Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Thanks for the Memories . . . Reply with quote

It is sad that a place so steeped in history and the social fabric of the city of Chicago should close its doors. Everyone who has ever visited the Berghoff may wish to raise their virtual beer steins to toast this great establishment.
hertz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember not only the weiner schnitzel and famous creamed spinach, but also that there was a second Berghoff's, in the 100 block of N. Wabash Ave., when I worked for the old Altman's Camera Store, in 1972-1974. There was a controversy when women were allowed in the bar for the first time.

Mark Hertzberg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: