Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Help with Goetsch-Winkler house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Help with Goetsch-Winkler house Reply with quote

Hello, first of all introduce myself, my name is Mariano and I'm from Argentina, currently studying architecture. It's my first participation in the forum and need your help because I am doing a job for my career over the house and found Winckler on this site lot of information that was of great help, but still need data to complete the job. Could you please give me a hand because I can not find much information and I see that you have access to it. Of course, any information is welcome, pardon the language but not English and I am using the google translator haha.

This is what we need:

For one of the subjects:

Analysis

Functional
-> Public-private
-> Server (sleeping baths) services
-> Dining room as a distributive
-> Circular

Formal Analysis
On view

-> Opaque / transparent
-> Identify the box break
-> Materials and textures
-> Address and disposition of planes

Structural Analysis (Plant)
-> Idenntificar structural elements (beams, slabs, bearing walls)

Spatial Analysis
(For photos and floor)

-> Sequence space (interior photos)
-> Fluency spaces (integration of environment)
-> Integration exterior-interior

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------

And other stuff:

relevant data in the area:
Country, city
proximity to the sea
winds
Rainfall
Floodplain
Earthquakes

Geometric data:

Foundation Level
Maximum Height
Number of plants
foundation level
Ground floor level
Water Tank Location

Structural materials (hidden, visible)
Identification of structural elements
Photos - Cortes - Floors - Views

Modulation *
distance between columns
Height of step

That would be all I would appreciate help with any type of material. Thank you very much, Mariano.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty tall order. I don't think you instructor would be pleased to have someone else complete your assignment for you -- do you ?

Here's five pages of material on the house, prepared for a previous student. Perhaps it will be of some use to you. . .

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=4222&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=goetschwinckler&start=15

Caution -- there is a fair amount of material there on the other (unbuilt) houses in the Okemos project, which you will not need. You can also use the Search function to locate other discussions here on the Goetsch-Winckler house.

SDR
romam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the data, and had seen that information, what happens is that I need other things, such as those already given in topic ... I see half complicated, because I do not know where to look, I appreciate the help anyway ...
Unbrook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Other sources Reply with quote

The Kresge Art Museun in Michigan had published a book on the house in 1991, "Affordable Dreams". Although I don't believe a copy would be all that accessible outside of the States, I did log on to their website and they have several pieces from the house in their collection. The description on the website might send you off in a new direction, or you could try contacting them. Have you looked at William Storrrer's Frank Lloyd Wright Companion for an existing floorplan? So much of what I am thinking you need could be found by studying that. I've always thought the plan to be one of the best and most straight-forward of the Usonians. I've known it to be compared to Mies Van Der Rohe's German Pavilion at Barcelona and I can see the likeness.

Best of luck with your project.
Unbrook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Goetsh-Winkler Reply with quote

You might also try Flicker or, You Tube for photos and/or Videos of the house. I seem to remember some of the former. Pictures could also give a lot of the spacial information.
Unbrook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Oops! Reply with quote

I just read SDR's message and realize he was directing you there first. A google earth search might get you some of the geographical information you need. As for one of the last items on the list: spacing between columns. Remember this is an Usonian, and the sandwich wall board and batten construction was probably used. The pages of Affordable Dreams might have that information. The Usonians were not typical construction in most cases, so some of the answers you need just aren't relevant.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For dimensions, refer to the floor plan and elevations. The grid is four by four feet (121.92 cm), and the vertical module (center of the batten in the sandwich wall) would be 13" (33.02 cm).
From these dimensions all measurements -- on the drawings, anyway -- could be derived, with care to consult photographs for possible as-built variation.

So, for instance, the structural column spacing would be 4 feet. . .

elevs

sect2

sects
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Googling the address would give you latitude and longitude information, which in turn should enable you to find certain geographic data, perhaps even including meteorology.

2410 Hulett Road, Okemos, MI, 48864

Formal and spatial analysis would seem to be the part of your work where individual initiative would be expected of you. As for structural analysis, the article from "Old House Journal" in another thread on this forum has information about the cantilevered carport roof, which includes some steel. Otherwise, the house is constructed of load-bearing brick and wood, on a poured concrete slab partly on grade.

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: