Houses near Westcott to be torn down

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Houses near Westcott to be torn down

Post by DavidC »

Deke

Post by Deke »

Why does this refer to Stanley Tigerman as a "master architect." Is that a legitimate title, sanctioned by some architecture association?

Deke

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

This is surely a disappointment for those operating Wescott. One of the most interesting parts of visiting a FLW house is comparing it to neighboring houses of the same period. A japanese tea house and Stanley Tigerman as replacements would certainly remove the historical context, although given the available choices, may be the best of the bad.

outside in

Post by outside in »

Stanley Tigerman has never, to my knowledge, expressed a concern for anything historical. In fact, Stanley does not express concern for anything other than his own ideas.
I truly hope that the financial support for this project be withdrawn. This is a travesty.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Reminds me of another architect we all know.

D. Shawn Beckwith

Greenmount properties

Post by D. Shawn Beckwith »

Well.. A song by Crissy Hindes and the Pretenders comes to mind. The Greenmount Ave houses issue has been orbiting for some time. Greenmount Avenue was changed to a one way.You see these neglected properties first as you drive to visit the Westcott House. They were in about the same shape as the W when we started the project. The grade change is substantial it will obviously cost more to build something modern then it would have been to integrate these into something.
I will be interested to see the conceptual plan at the conference.

Hope they keep the cemetery.

D. Shawn Beckwith
Restoration Project Manager
The Burton J. Westcott House
www.DurableRestorationFl.com
www.DurableRestoration.com
www.DurableSlate.com

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

Can anyone tell me if the houses were torn down? I worked on the Westcott at one point and seem to remember their removal being debated back in 2002. I would hate to see them go, though, as they do provide great context.

Unbrook

Wescott House's houses

Post by Unbrook »

I feel it is unfortunate that the Wescott House feels that they need to go in this direction and remove extant structures from their property. To present a contemporary Japanese teahouse in the context of a Wright house would seem to confuse what the main house is all about. Did the Wescott's have a teahouse? Was there a landcaping plan by Wright which included an outbuilding? Will the new structures be placed in context with the Wright house or garage?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The worse half of this situation is not the demolition of the houses, but the construction of the egregious teahouse. No matter how hard docents try to educate visitors, many will go away with the assumption that the teahouse is a part of the original scheme. This has always been a problem at Barnsdall, where the adjacent art gallery and the junior art center are assumed to have been designed by FLW for the original client, but in fact were built by the city decades later. This was also the argument that people had against the very fine structure designed by Tony Putnam as the Visitor Center near Hillside at the Taliesin complex, people would inevitably assume it to be a FLW building. Fortunately, that problem was avoided when the Riverview Terrace Restaurant (which never had very good food, anyway) was acquired for the Visitor Center.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant wrote:The worse half of this situation is not the demolition of the houses, but the construction of the egregious teahouse. No matter how hard docents try to educate visitors, many will go away with the assumption that the teahouse is a part of the original scheme. This has always been a problem at Barnsdall, where the adjacent art gallery and the junior art center are assumed to have been designed by FLW for the original client, but in fact were built by the city decades later. This was also the argument that people had against the very fine structure designed by Tony Putnam as the Visitor Center near Hillside at the Taliesin complex, people would inevitably assume it to be a FLW building. Fortunately, that problem was avoided when the Riverview Terrace Restaurant (which never had very good food, anyway) was acquired for the Visitor Center.

This also goes along with explaining why the folks at the Martin House went to great lengths to make sure that their new visitors center would never be confused with something Wright had designed for the site.

David

Unbrook

Wescott

Post by Unbrook »

Exactly. If the new construction can happen away from the house, there might be some hope. The old structures slated to be or already torn down did offer a context for the Wright building, but I thought they were built after the main house.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

If any of you have had the "pleasure" of visiting Springfield, OH... you will know that the "context" is just a small step up from Gary, IN.

Please don't assume from this comment that I don't think the Westcott House is great. I just wish they would put some furniture in it so it would look completed.

Unbrook

Wescott House

Post by Unbrook »

Be careful what you ask for. When I was there shortly after the house opened for public tours, there was the Prairie style dining table with Victorian doilies protecting the holiday poinsettias from ruining the finish. In the "playroom" were child's scaled version of Wright's furniture. I didn't think Mr. Wright designed these and the effect was misleading.

egads

Post by egads »

When I was there I was told that they have almost no old photos and have no idea what the original furnishing where. The dinning table is a reproduction based either on plans or photos (I don't remember which) The only thing in the playroom is a table with a couple of old wooden toys on it. hardy misleading. Indeed the town is sad. A lot of boarded up foreclosures. I did not use Greenmount Ave to get there. I foolishly went down the street the house is actually on!

Unbrook

Wescott

Post by Unbrook »

Storrer shows the room presented as a playroom in a different role. That space in the restoration, acts as an access area to the outside and pergola,and makes more sense. But I haven't ever documented that Mr. Wright designed children's furniture. To show the table and chairs in minature in that space is misleading to the interpretation of Wright's designs.

My research is limited to already published resources, so the Wescott restoration may have relied on other resources. I don't think we need or should be subjective in the interpretation of these buildings to the public.
Lets not re-write Mr. Wright.