Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Taliesin Architects / Fellowship Bashing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Taliesin Architects / Fellowship Bashing? Reply with quote

I have noticed that there has been a lot of bashing of Taliesin Architects and the Fellowship on the Forum along with this chat board as well. Can anyone tell me exactly why TA and the Fellowship has gotten no respect in the present day and also when FLW was alive and heading up the organization?

In my view, some very good architects have come out of Taliesin. Although, it seems to have stopped in recent years.

This is in no way an argument. I am just wondering what other FLW fans views are.

Thank you.
EJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of the attitude stems from the FLLW Elite who dislike the fact that TA tries to sell unbuilt designs from FLLW at outrageous prices that end up being not like what FLLW intended.

Personally, I've seen some terrific designs by TA.

I'd be interested to know what everyone else thinks.
apboy2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: T(ough) A(ct) to Follow(ship) Reply with quote

Seems to me that TA and the Fellowship are in a no-win situation: their work on one hand can be dismissed as derivative of FLW or, if they try too hard NOT to be "derivative," they expose themselves to criticism that they've abandoned FLW's organic principles.

Can anybody recommend a book, Web site, etc., about TA's work? I haven't seen enough of it to have really strong opinions about how it relates to what Mr. Wright created.

Quote:
"Well, there you are!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have noticed is that there is little talk and little publicity on any FLW Legacy residential design that has been built. I know of two in Hawaii and one in Cincinnati. I heard the one in Cincinnati was built for $500k. There is also the clubhouse at Gold Mountain. I have been there and I can say that it is nice but I didn
Jon Autry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that Taliesin Architects is currently disbanded. I don't know if this permanent, but the last I heard this was the case.

Take care,

Jon
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books or publications with Taliesin Fellows work:

"A Taliesin Legacy" by Tobias Gugenheimer

"A Living Architecture" by John Rattenbury

"House Beautiful" Magazine October 1959

(Best found at online used booksellers)

Websites:

http://www.agaarchitects.com

http://www.robertgreen.com

http://www.schildrotharchitect.com

There are many others. Try google-ing the following names:

Fay Jones

William Wesley Peters

John H. Howe

John Lautner

Curtis Besinger

Peter Berndtson

Kamal Amin

Stephen Nemtin

Organic Architects who were not directly associated with Wright:

Bruce Goff

Bart Prince

Herb Green

Will Bruder

Wendell Burnette

This is just a start. There is more published than you think. The mainstream architectural press seems to avoid Organic Architecture for the most part.

Happy hunting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: