Goetsch-Winckler Usonian house

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
robinjulien

pictures from Affordable dreams

Post by robinjulien »

Hi,

SDR can you post these plans from the book affordable dreams ?

Thanks everybody for helping me.

Robin

robinjulien

Descendents of Alma Goetsch and Kathrine Winckler

Post by robinjulien »

Hi,

I read that Alma Goetsch and Kathrine Winckler wrote a letter to Frank Lloyd Wright to ask him to built them a house.
Has somebody any idea how to get this letter or how I can contact the descendents of Alma Goetsch and Kathrine Winckler ?

Im also looking for information of the masterplan that Frank Lloyd Wright designed for 8 houses including the Goetsch-Winckler house.
Any plans for the other houses, the masterplan or pictures of models would be very welcome.

Thanks
Robin

EJ

Post by EJ »

Most of the information you are looking for is in the Affordable Dreams book. It has the initial letter to Wright, and all the plans for the unbuilt houses you mention. It even has information on the unbuilt second house Wright designed for Goetsch and Winkler, as well as plans for the unbuilt addition to the first house. This book is the bible on the GW house. Contact Kresge Museum at Michigan State Univeristy (an easy google search I'm sure) and you should be in business! (or beg some of the members to post scans of the book).
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

SDR

Post by SDR »

I would second EJ's excellent advice, robin. Few of Wright's works have received the kind of detailed attention which the Goetsch-Winckler residence has, in this book.

The book is: "Affordable Dreams: the Goetsch-Winckler House and Frank Lloyd Wright," edited by Susan J Bandes, and published as the Kresge Art Museum Bulletin,
Special Issue, Vol VI, 1991, by Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.

Below are three of the plans reproduced in "Affordable Dreams," along with the author's notes for those plates.

In return for this favor, I wonder if you would be so kind as to edit your original entry for this thread, correcting the name of the house to its accepted form and spelling ?
You will find an "edit" button at the upper right of each of your entries.

In addition to the credits given, all images © 1991 by the Board of Trustees, Michigan State University, and Susan J Bandes

robinjulien

Book Affordable dreams

Post by robinjulien »

Hello,

It's very difficult to find this book for a good price.
The Kresge Art Museum isn't answering my emails.
I have to hand in this project on 11th may.
I will keep trying to contact the museum, but i'm affraid to book will arive to late in Belgium.

If there are people who have this book is it possible to make some scans for me ? I can pay some your efford ? The total book would be perfect offcourse, but a lot of work. These are the things I realy need for this project :

1) The letter from Alma Goetsch and Kathrine Winckler to Frank Lloyd
Wright.

2) Everything about the masterplan for the 8 houses for the teachers.

3) The second Goetsch-Winckler house + plans of the unbuilt addition to the first house

Anyway thanks everybody for your help

pharding

Post by pharding »

You can buy it here for $149 like new. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

Robinjulien...InterLibrary loan is a godsend for resources like small publications from museums. Got o your college library and request a copy, a librarian can help you locate the nearest cooperating library that owns the book and it will be sent to you.

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

robinjulien-

Listed below are two links for the Kresge Art Museum. The first is a printable order form for the book, with ordering instructions. The second link is to a staff list with phone numbers for various staff members. I hope this info helps you to obtain a copy of this book in time for your project. Good luck.

http://www.artmuseum.msu.edu/home/store ... rform.html

http://www.artmuseum.msu.edu/home/about/staff.htm

robinjulien

Scans of the affordable dreams book

Post by robinjulien »

Hello,

I have contacted the Kresge Art Museum, but I haven't got any answer.
It will also take to long to ship the book to Belgium (also with the problems we have in Europe with the airplanes that aren't flying anymore).
My school library and all the big libraries of Belgium can't get this book.
the amazon book of 150 dollar doesn't ship the book to Belgium and I don't have the money to pay 400 dollar.
So I realy don't know what I can do now.

SDR you have put some plans of the book on the forum already.
Can you post some pages on the forum or upload them on a FTP server or with megaupload,rapidshare ?

These things I would realy need :

1) The letter from Alma Goetsch and Kathrine Winckler to Frank Lloyd
Wright.

2) Everything about the masterplan for the 8 houses for the teachers.

3) The second Goetsch-Winckler house + plans of the unbuilt addition to the first house

Please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can post all my research of the house on the forum in return.
I can also pay you for your time and effort.

Robin Julien

guanche

Post by guanche »

i am sure that sdr will help you... always he does all the posible when someone needs something

so... i think the key is to wait

sois patient, mon ami

SDR

Post by SDR »

Robin -- I will post the items you request today. I already have some of the matter scanned. Let's see. . .

I have three images related to Goetsch-Winckler II, the second design by Wright for the clients. I have an enlarged detail of the plan as well. I will post the accompanying text for the images later.

[edit] I have replaced the plan enlargement with a slightly better image.

Plate 30

detail

Plate 29

Last edited by SDR on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robinjulien

Thank you

Post by robinjulien »

Thank you for doing this !!!

Robin

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here are the ten pages of notes to the plates in "Affordable Dreams." There is a wealth of information in this text. I will label the subsequent images with these plate numbers where applicable.

In addition to the credits given, all images © 1991 by the Board of Trustees, Michigan State University, and Susan J Bandes

Plate 8

Last edited by SDR on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Plate 27 -- the proposed addition to the house

SDR

Post by SDR »

Plate 2