Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Goetsch-Winckler Usonian house
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinjulien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: pictures from Affordable dreams Reply with quote

Hi,

SDR can you post these plans from the book affordable dreams ?

Thanks everybody for helping me.

Robin
robinjulien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Descendents of Alma Goetsch and Kathrine Winckler Reply with quote

Hi,

I read that Alma Goetsch and Kathrine Winckler wrote a letter to Frank Lloyd Wright to ask him to built them a house.
Has somebody any idea how to get this letter or how I can contact the descendents of Alma Goetsch and Kathrine Winckler ?

Im also looking for information of the masterplan that Frank Lloyd Wright designed for 8 houses including the Goetsch-Winckler house.
Any plans for the other houses, the masterplan or pictures of models would be very welcome.

Thanks
Robin
EJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the information you are looking for is in the Affordable Dreams book. It has the initial letter to Wright, and all the plans for the unbuilt houses you mention. It even has information on the unbuilt second house Wright designed for Goetsch and Winkler, as well as plans for the unbuilt addition to the first house. This book is the bible on the GW house. Contact Kresge Museum at Michigan State Univeristy (an easy google search I'm sure) and you should be in business! (or beg some of the members to post scans of the book).
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second EJ's excellent advice, robin. Few of Wright's works have received the kind of detailed attention which the Goetsch-Winckler residence has, in this book.

The book is: "Affordable Dreams: the Goetsch-Winckler House and Frank Lloyd Wright," edited by Susan J Bandes, and published as the Kresge Art Museum Bulletin,
Special Issue, Vol VI, 1991, by Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.

Below are three of the plans reproduced in "Affordable Dreams," along with the author's notes for those plates.

In return for this favor, I wonder if you would be so kind as to edit your original entry for this thread, correcting the name of the house to its accepted form and spelling ?
You will find an "edit" button at the upper right of each of your entries.

In addition to the credits given, all images © 1991 by the Board of Trustees, Michigan State University, and Susan J Bandes
robinjulien

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Book Affordable dreams Reply with quote

Hello,

It's very difficult to find this book for a good price.
The Kresge Art Museum isn't answering my emails.
I have to hand in this project on 11th may.
I will keep trying to contact the museum, but i'm affraid to book will arive to late in Belgium.

If there are people who have this book is it possible to make some scans for me ? I can pay some your efford ? The total book would be perfect offcourse, but a lot of work. These are the things I realy need for this project :

1) The letter from Alma Goetsch and Kathrine Winckler to Frank Lloyd
Wright.

2) Everything about the masterplan for the 8 houses for the teachers.

3) The second Goetsch-Winckler house + plans of the unbuilt addition to the first house

Anyway thanks everybody for your help
pharding

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy it here for $149 like new. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1879147122/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robinjulien...InterLibrary loan is a godsend for resources like small publications from museums. Got o your college library and request a copy, a librarian can help you locate the nearest cooperating library that owns the book and it will be sent to you.
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinjulien-

Listed below are two links for the Kresge Art Museum. The first is a printable order form for the book, with ordering instructions. The second link is to a staff list with phone numbers for various staff members. I hope this info helps you to obtain a copy of this book in time for your project. Good luck.

http://www.artmuseum.msu.edu/home/store/publications_orderform.html

http://www.artmuseum.msu.edu/home/about/staff.htm
robinjulien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Scans of the affordable dreams book Reply with quote

Hello,

I have contacted the Kresge Art Museum, but I haven't got any answer.
It will also take to long to ship the book to Belgium (also with the problems we have in Europe with the airplanes that aren't flying anymore).
My school library and all the big libraries of Belgium can't get this book.
the amazon book of 150 dollar doesn't ship the book to Belgium and I don't have the money to pay 400 dollar.
So I realy don't know what I can do now.

SDR you have put some plans of the book on the forum already.
Can you post some pages on the forum or upload them on a FTP server or with megaupload,rapidshare ?

These things I would realy need :

1) The letter from Alma Goetsch and Kathrine Winckler to Frank Lloyd
Wright.

2) Everything about the masterplan for the 8 houses for the teachers.

3) The second Goetsch-Winckler house + plans of the unbuilt addition to the first house

Please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can post all my research of the house on the forum in return.
I can also pay you for your time and effort.

Robin Julien
guanche

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am sure that sdr will help you... always he does all the posible when someone needs something

so... i think the key is to wait

sois patient, mon ami
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin -- I will post the items you request today. I already have some of the matter scanned. Let's see. . .

I have three images related to Goetsch-Winckler II, the second design by Wright for the clients. I have an enlarged detail of the plan as well. I will post the accompanying text for the images later.

[edit] I have replaced the plan enlargement with a slightly better image.

Plate 30

detail

Plate 29

Last edited by SDR on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
robinjulien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for doing this !!!

Robin
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the ten pages of notes to the plates in "Affordable Dreams." There is a wealth of information in this text. I will label the subsequent images with these plate numbers where applicable.

In addition to the credits given, all images © 1991 by the Board of Trustees, Michigan State University, and Susan J Bandes

Plate 8

Last edited by SDR on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plate 27 -- the proposed addition to the house

SDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plate 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: