Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

FLW plans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: FLW plans Reply with quote

a couple of questions...

1. has anyone seen the luna imaging cd's? what is on them? i'll be visiting a city soon that has them in their library. would it be worth my time to make a trip to the library to view them?

2. as an accompished wood worker, does anyone know of drawings or plans for the origami chair or the FLW version of the adirondak chairs from auldbrass plantation? I'd like to try making them for my own use and enjoyment.
gwd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Luna cd sets are an outstanding resource and well worth your effort to view. They are far superior to the monographs in that they are reasonably comprehensive and feature moderate-to-high resolution color images with zooming capability. Unless there have been subsequent editions of which I am unaware, there are two products. The first is a 4-cd set entitled "Frank Lloyd Wright: Presentation and Conceptual Drawings." This presents an enormous body of original FLW conceptual studies and drawings intended to be shown to his clients. It addresses all stages of Wright's career. I find it to be enlightening to see the original versions of the presentation drawings developed in the early part of his career as compared to the more familiar drawings that were traced and included in the Wasmuth portfolio (the Thaxter Shaw residence for instance). The color reproduction and zooming feature allow a much better means of studying the details of his work than do the monographs. And, the inclusion of concept sketches provides a bit of a window into Wright's design process. It is intriguing to view early versions of familiar iconic buildings that were either modified by Wright or rejected by his clients. There are many, many images included which have never been published in a book format. I do have two reservations with the 4-cd set. First, it was produced in 1994 so its viewing software is somewhat limiting and frustrates a person conditioned to 2006 technology. Second, there seems to have been an editorial eye applied to the selection of projects and drawings that is unfortunately weighted heavily toward the period from 1942 onward at the expense of showing more of Wright's earlier, more important work. This can be maddening at times.

The second Luna/FLW release is much smaller (a single cd) but much more useful: "The Houses of Frank Lloyd Wright." This is a carefully selected set of Wright's residential commissions. It includes introductory text for each and high-resolution vintage photography as a complement to drawings. While the drawings include some conceptual and presentation work, most are "working drawings" meant to be used by a contractor to facilitate construction. To me, it is these period photographs and original working drawings that are the real meat of the two Luna releases. I can't imagine a complete study of the Wright's designs for such buildings as the Dana, Metzger, Clark, D.D. Martin and Coonley residences without these documents. To rely simply on the published publicity photographs and presentation drawings of these and other Wright designs would be like trying to appreciate a fine meal through aroma and sight, but without the ability to taste. As a single cd, the Houses collection is much easier to use than is the Presentation and Conceptual Drawings set. My only gripe with the Houses cd is that it fails to include client correspondence. I wish that we had access on each of these projects to the sort of architect/client dialogue that Jack Quinan offered in his recent book on the D.D. Martin house. My dream is that some day, all of this digitized material (and more) will be made available to the public, via the internet, as has similar Purcell & Elmslie material in the Northwest Architectural Archives of the University of Minnesota.

A word of caution ... there is far to much material in the Luna sets to be absorbed in one or two sittings. You could own these sets and still never feel like you had more than scratched the surface of your FLW studies.
JimM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwd wrote:
My dream is that some day, all of this digitized material (and more) will be made available to the public, via the internet,

No kidding....but I would think there's no way around "pay for play" regarding these fantastic resources. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Information "wants to be free" - and millions of people are currently devoted to "liberating" information. Whether this is legal or not is a moot point: it is happening, and will continue happening, until such time as the vast majority of all collected data is available, if you know where to look.

Once the general population rebels against the copyright laws (and this WILL happen, as copyright laws are only acceptable to a population provided that those laws do not affect them!) there will be a simply stupendous surge in what is available.

It'll happen outside the USA for a start, but when Congress passes one too many stupid laws, the libertarians will be back, and they'll destroy the ridiculous status quo.
rgrant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What color are your glasses?
flwright

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from waiting for the rebellion to get them for free (bonus! I live in Canada so the rebellion will happen here sooner than the U.S.!), does anyone know where a copy of these Luna products can be purchased? I did a quick Google search but came up with not much more than a few press releases when the products were first launched.
jackless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they can be purchased on amazon.com (be prepared for a shock at the price)
gwd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are so good that it would be worth any kind of extended effort you are able to devote. You might ask your local librarian if they can help via an interlibrary loan program. Even rare books are available, although those usually need to be browsed on library premises.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: