Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Renting Wright Houses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrairieMod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Renting Wright Houses Reply with quote

I had a chance to tour the beautifully restored Muirhead Farmhouse this weekend and was completely amazed. (I've posted a photo and some more info at www.prairiemod.com) The current owners operate a bed and breakfast there and we began talking about the experience of staying overnight in a Wright house and how it varies from house to house.

I was wondering if anyone would like to share their Wright rental experiences and which they would suggest and why?
EJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I got married near the Penfield House, and we stayed there for our wedding festivites and even our wedding night. I highly recommend a stay there. The grounds are beautiful in all seasons, and there's some nice places to go nearby. I recommend nearby Chagrin Falls, a pleasant small town to shop in and eat in. I've been to the Peterson cottage during one of their open houses, but have not stayed there. I think that would be a great place for a quiet getaway or even a stay with friends.

One gets the full experience of FLW's architecture when you stay for a time in the building more than the tours where they herd you in and out. You notice things like details and craftsmanship, the lighting and interplay of shapes and sunlight as FLW intended. You try out the furniture, and admire the views.

Quite simply, if you have anything more than a passing interest in FLW, you MUST do a rental. You'll cherish and remember the experience more than you'll miss the money it takes to stay there.

I plan to get to all of the FLW rentals eventually.
Guest01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Muirhead house looks and sounds like a home I'd like to visit! I've never stayed at a Wright home before, so this should be a great place to start. I'm eager to see how the sunlight moves through the house and to see each detail close up.
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Renting Wright Houses Reply with quote

PrairieMod-

I don't know if you saw the recent thread on this board entitled "Wright Rentals", which addresses the topic of your post and will probably provide you with answers and observations for most of your questions on this subject.

There were 13 replies to the original post, many by those who have stayed in one or more of the FLW properties available for overnight stays. To help you locate the thread, search backward by the "last post" column, and look for Feb. 14, which was the date of the thread's last reply.

Hope this helps you, and enjoy.
PrairieMod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! I guess I didn't see that earlier post. Sorry for the redundancy. I guess I could be more specific and ask if anyone has stayed at the Muirhead Bed and Breakfast and what their experience was.
FrankFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Cheney House in Oak Park is still a bed & breakfast? I saw info a few years ago about staying there, but now it doesn't seem to be operating. Any news?
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Renting Wright Houses Reply with quote

PrairieMod-

No problem, I just thought you might find that thread informative. As to the Muirhead, I believe they only began accepting guests within the last 60-90 days or so. I will be spending 2 nights there in mid-August, and I'll be happy to post my thoughts after staying there. Based on the website and the comments from the poster who visited the property, I have nothing but high hopes for another great stay experiencing the master's hand.

FrankFan-

As to the Cheney House B & B in Oak Park, the last info I had was that the B & B was no longer accepting reservations from guests who had not already stayed there before, but was still accomodating previous guests. This info is at least a couple of years or so old, so I do not know if it is still accurate. I haven't been able to locate their webpage for quite a while now, and when I was at the Wrightplus Housewalk last year, the landscaping and lawn around the house appeared to be somewhat overgrown. Maybe someone else can add more current information than this. Anyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: