Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Request: Goetsch Winkler House Drawings and Pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astewart_123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Request: Goetsch Winkler House Drawings and Pictures Reply with quote

Hi, im doing a bit of research on The Goetsch-Winkler House and was wondering if someone could link me or upload me some of the plans or pictures of the house.

Anything will do.

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Very Happy
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, astewart. I used the Search function (see upper left) to query Goetsch-Winckler and got 22 threads that contain the name. Surprisingly,
there may not be a posting here of the basic drawings and photos of the house. You will find several images, however, on the thread titled Mitered
Windows -- and another thread, The First Usonian, has a lot of distracting images of other houses in the category !

The only published monograph on the house, as far as I know, is an out-of-print paperbound volume called "Affordable Dreams." At Amazon right
now used copies are available -- for $249.00 or more !

A Wright Chat member named Mobius has posted his collection of material on the house, found here: http://4sure.co.nz/gw/

Let us know what you find -- and stay in touch.

SDR
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interlibrary loans save the day; speak to your public or school librarian
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
The only published monograph on the house, as far as I know, is an out-of-print paperbound volume called "Affordable Dreams." At Amazon right now used copies are available -- for $249.00 or more !
SDR

This book can still be obtained from the Kresge Art Museum (which is part of Michigan State University) for the extremely reasonable price of $19.95 (plus shipping).

David
Reidy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Sergeant's book on the Usonians for good plans, drawings and photos: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Frank-Lloyd-Wrights-Usonian-Houses/John-Sergeant/e/9780823071784/?itm=6&usri=Frank+Lloyd+Wright+s+Usonian+Houses
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergeant is essential for the student of Usonian design and history. Of course, with so many houses to account for, the book can't have more than
floor plans -- and it is essentially the story of the pre-war houses, with only the post-war Berger house getting a large floor plan. After covering
Broadacres, a final chapter reproduces some pages from House and Home showing Erdman, Oskaloosa, and Zimmerman, at small scale.
There are no elevation drawings, but there is a large-scale extract of the Standard Detail Sheet, detail photos, and some construction photos of
Richardson. The text is ample and informative, with voluminous end notes.

SDR
Mobius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobius here to save the day!

I have just about every image available in just one location: http://4sure.co.nz/gw/ - It's a folder listing, so just opne the images in a new window for each link.

Included are some fascinating "study" pics of the GW house.

Enjoy.

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh-heh -- apparently I jumped the queue in offering your collection to our new member (see above). I came across the link as I searched past
threads under the keywords "Affordable Dreams."

I'm happy to see a couple of interior shots, by others, that I contributed to that group. Of course it is an exaggeration to say that this represents just
about every image of Goetsch-Winckler available -- but there are a number of unique offerings there, and we are fortunate to have it. Thanks for your
work. Are the many "EL" interior shots your own -- made on a visit to the house ?

Here is just one more image -- the millwork sheet from the Taliesin drawing set, as reproduced in "Affordable Dreams." There are twenty other
drawings, and nine photographic plates, in the book.

astewart_123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your help.

Especially you mobius Very Happy

Your collection seems to be exactly what i was after.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: