Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Fascinating Old Photos of Wright in Wisconsin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Fascinating Old Photos of Wright in Wisconsin Reply with quote

The Wisconsin Historical Society's website boasts some fascinating old photos of FLLW in Wisconsin, including of Willey, Johnson Wax, Gilmore-Weiss, Taliesin, Wingspread, Lamp, and especially a newly-constructed Jacobs I in the stark landscape of its neighborhood-to-be:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/exhibit/index.asp?id=19
Spring Green

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobs I is really out in the middle of nowhere. Pretty interesting, considering that it's in a full-fledged neighborhood today.

By the way, the 2 photographs of the Monona Terrace model were also taken at Taliesin, in the drafting studio, by its entry door. The little built-in behind Monona Terrace doesn't exist anymore, though.

You can also go to the advanced search pages at the Wisconsin Historical Society site and type in Frank Lloyd Wright and come up with more images, including him, students at his aunts' school, and more of his buildings. Or you can type in the name of individual structures in the search page. This searching yields more results than the "homes and haunts" page.
NickSpellman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Willey Picture Reply with quote

Is it just me or is the picuture of the Willey house from the driveway reversed?
SWS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Willey Picture Reply with quote

NickSpellman wrote:
Is it just me or is the picuture of the Willey house from the driveway reversed?

Your eyes do not deceive you. BTW, that boat of a car (can anyone identify the make and model?) certainly demonstrates how narrow the driveway is. I wonder what kind of car the Willeys owned in 1934 to have such a small driveway constructed.
Spring Green

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Willey house reversed Reply with quote

No, you're right. Looking at the Willey House page on sideways.com shows the building in the correct orientation. I've seen other images from the Howe collection that were backwards--these are slides, so they've accidentally been flipped.

It's always a mind-bending experience to come across a reversed photo. One time I came across an upside down photo, but because it was a detail and because I didn't know the building very well, it took me a while to see it. I did know that something was "off" though.
rgrant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "boat of a car" is a 1955 Buick Special 2-door ragtop, a great car. Also note that the display of Ukiyoe prints in the Taliesin studio includes FLW's own "City by the Sea" mural, every bit the equal of the Japanese prints. As odd and almost ugly as Rocky Roost was, the photograph shows that it was in the most romantic setting of any Wright work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: