Question re: the Storer House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
EJ

Question re: the Storer House

Post by EJ »

Does Joel Silver still own it? I've read a few things to suggest he doesn't, but nothing came out and said it...thanks...
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

pharding

Post by pharding »

No Joel Silver no longer owns it. Several years ago at the FLWBC annual conference in LA it was a tour site. At that time it was owned by a former executive of Microsoft and his wife.

It is a great architectural work that had a beautiful restoration in the recent past.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Joel sold Storrer after he married. Although the house has four bedrooms (plus a maid's room), it is not a realistic family house. He bought several acres in Brentwood (or Westwood ... one of the woods) where he built a new house deigned by Legoretta. The new owner of Storrer, who's on the Conservancy Board, is hosting the upcoming fund raising dinner, which I shall be attending. I expect to see the house (which was in wretched condition when Joel bought it in the early 80s) in the same pristine condition it was in when Joel owned it. If only such a fate were replicated at Freeman, Barnsdall, Ennis and Oboler.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Storer is without a doubt my favorite of the LA houses -- including Hollyhock.

The twin communal rooms, symmetrical about their long axis (made asymmetrical by the off-center chimney mass) and with full-height windows on opposite exposures, fronted with low "guard rails" on the high-ceilinged upper floor. Wood floors and beamed ceilings contrasting with the otherwise ubiquitous concrete block. Secondary rooms at the half level. Just a delightful and rich hillside domain. The precedent for this is an unbuilt plan for Lowes, at Eagle Rock (a commission that went to Schindler).

SDR

Image C P Lowes project, 1922

SDR

Post by SDR »

Image J Storer, 1922-24

SDR

Post by SDR »

Image Living room (upper level)

I think Mr Wright would have liked this photo, for the foliage, at least. Photo by Tom Ploch.

SDR

jwest

Post by jwest »

Ahh, my favorite of the textile block houses. Thanks for posting/sharing this useful information!

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

What is the awning in the photo of tthe Storer residence. It is a very nice home.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

The fabric awning in the early photo is the original. Eric Lloyd Wright recreated a different early design as part of the 'nineties restoration, for Joel Silver.
The awning shades the second-floor terrace, off the living room.

The photo above of the living room looks in the opposite direction; more awning(s) can be seen beyond the glass, over the bedrooms. Whether these
are also based on original ones, I cannot say.

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

from "FLLW The Masterworks" (Rizzoli; 1993)

from "FLLW Architect: (MoMA; 1994) FLLW FDN#2304.003.

from "FLLW The Masterworks"

from "Wright in Hollywood (Robert L Sweeney; 1994)

A leaded glass design at a vastly different scale has somehow been added to the sheet, at the top.

SDR