Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Turkel House
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: turkle house Reply with quote

I live in ferndale,mi. And have been very interested in this home. I was able to go inside a few yrs. back. I believe the last owner had a estate sale and I went,just to see the place.Do you know who is in charge of the place @ this time? I drive By often,taking my step-son to U-of D highschool. and any info would be great! Thanks...Bill
guestnow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you visited the auto repair / tire store place in Ferndale to see the Wright work there?
EJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such place in Ferndale by Wright. Perhaps there is a Wright like building, but nothing more.
guestnow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Wetmore in Ferndale Reply with quote

It is real, but there is not much to it: just barely-detectible remodeling around the service counter.

Historically, it is listed as "Roy Wetmore Service Station Remodeling". It is still in business.

Here is a recent photo of the exterior (which, of course, does not show the interior service counter)

http://www.rreini.com/dixiehwy-mi/Wetmores.JPG
Greg Coatsworth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that very little if anything remains of the original FLLW plan for Wetmore's, other than the concept of having a automobile placed on the second floor for viewing from the ground. The FLLW plan did not include having the automobile extend out over the ground without a ramp below the front wheels (as built, the wheels freely spin). Growing up in the area, my family would always point out the 'wiggly wheels' when we drove by. The wheels would spin out of balance 24 hours a day. It is a local landmark in the Detroit area. When I stopped in about 30 years ago, I could not see any of the FLLW remodeling remaining. You can get a view of the plan by going to the FLLW Monograph Volume 8.
guestnow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there was a lot more remodeling which has been removed? When I was there recently, I saw pretty much what was in Storrer's book.
us024077

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which storrer book are you referring to? there's nothing in either one of mt storrer books on this.
guestnow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is S.348, "Frank Lloyd Wright Companion". A very small entry, fitting of a very small project.
us024077

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S348 is the Greene FLW office in San Francisco in both the companion and the field guide.

Storrer considers the Wetmore as an unbuilt design. Sounds like you need a newer version of Storrer's book.
patrick mahoney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Greene Office Reply with quote

The Greene Office was carefully documented and dismantled before it was removed from its museum setting in Pittsburgh. It is crated awaiting reinstallation in a Buffalo, N.Y. museum
pharding

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrick:

Can you give us an update on Greycliff and the Martin House. I saw that New York State apprepriated funds for FLW projects in Buffalo. Will some of those funds go to Greycliff and the Martin House?
guestnow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Wetmore Reply with quote

I did not know, until now, that Dr Storrer's index numbers change over time.

In his "Printing 4 1994", he notes the following:

"S.348 Replaced Wetmore Auto Service Station listing with Frank Lloyd Wright Field Office listing including text and plan for the latter"

I was referring to an earlier version of his index.
patrick mahoney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Martin house / Graycliff Reply with quote

The Martin House expects the exteriors of its rebuilt pergola,conservatory, and garage to be complete for a ceremony this fall. Work has also started inside the main house which has opened up the two sided main fireplace. This has dramatically changed the perception of the interior. Recent appropriations will go towards the visitor center. Other major announcements are pending.

Graycliff was not included in the recent appropriations (too far from downtown to be considered). The exteriors of the two major buildings there will be the target of this years restoration projects, which are partially funded by the State from past appropriations.
EJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

What's the status of the filling station recreation? My wife and I have friends in Buffalo and are contemplating a visit there. What are my options for FLLW touring? I know the recent masoleum is there, but are the Martin House and Greycliff open to the public now?
JimM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the latest on the gas station or boat club. I believe the Martin and Barton House (currently Martin site shop) are open during the rebuilding/restoration. Then you have the Heath House, Davidson House and Martin gardeners cottage, which are private homes. Of course, Graycliff on the lake (less tha 30 minutes from Martin) is well into restoration and open for tours.

Also, downtown is Sullivans Prudential building and there are is at least one HH Richardson building. Buffalo was an important, wealthy city at the turn of the century (before the demise of the Erie Canal and the St. Lawrence Seaway in Canada diverted all its trade.). Many huge, beautiful mansions dot Delaware Ave., a main thoroughfare into the city. The area around the Martin House is upscale and near the zoo, whose grounds along with various museums were originally built for an exhibition (worlds fair) in the early 1900's. The Saarinen designed Kleinhans Music Hall houses the Philharmonic. No shortage of architectural history to take in.

If you go up to Niagara Falls, skip the refineries on the American side and cross the Peace Bridge in Buffalo and take a really nice cruise up Canada's well maintained roadway to the falls. A lot of pre-revolution history in Western New York and Ontario, CA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: