Lamberson House Restoration

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Post by peterm »

Roderick Grant wrote:I'm glad you mentioned you were going to remove the wall-to-wall, a favorite decorating device throughout the Midwest. The geometric forms of the Native wall hanging look terrific in your house; Wright and Navajo/Hopi/Zuni go great together.
It's actually surprising to see how many Usonians actually have wall to wall carpeting. I am a little nervous because I think they nailed the carpet tack strips to the floor, so there might be cracking around the edges when they are removed. It's just astounding how much damage can be done by thoughtless "decorating". We spent a fair amount of time removing toxic mini blinds, thereby exposing numerous holes in the window trim. Of course, the mini blinds also made it impossible to attach the screens, so they sat in the shed gathering dust and the windows stayed shut most of the time. One bad decision leads to ten others...

Thanks for your approval of the Navajo blankets. Japanese prints and Native American designs will be a starting place for the decoration.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Toxic Mini Blinds? Never heard that one before.
JAT
Jeff T

peterm

Post by peterm »

IMHO they emit "toxic" visual stimuli with their clear plastic handles and long ugly strings... and have no thermal qualities.

A similar but more organic solution are the thin bamboo reed blinds...

or just simple lined draperies...

SDR

Post by SDR »

I assume Peter means visually toxic. You know -- like highway billboards, or flocked wallpaper. . .

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Oh okay. I have wood blinds and vertical blinds in my house. We have a saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. What is flocked wallpaper?
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's fuzzy.

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Oh I see. I have wallpaper in the bathroom which is falling down. I see a way of removing wallpaper in a bathroom but it will cot you a big water bill.
JAT
Jeff T

peterm

Post by peterm »

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

How can people do that to there walls. Paint would be the best thing not as much effort were you have to get messy putting on the glue on the paper then put it on the wall then get rid of the air bubbles paint is easier where you just get messy by painting. I love painting I did a mural once at my old house that took me 4 week to create it was so cool. Sadly I had to paint over it when we moved last year.
JAT
Jeff T

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Many years ago, I owned a 1952 Dodge (with usable compression in only two of its six cylinders). The gold paint had oxidized to a soft, velvety brown, so I considered covering it with red and black flocked self-adhesive wallpaper in a fleur-de-lis pattern. But that would have more than doubled the car's value.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Um. . .well, it might have more than doubled your investment, anyway. . .!

I owned two '52 Dodge sedans in succession, in the mid-sixties -- big, simple, quiet and comfortable -- and the fastest window-winder mechanism
ever ! $60 and $100, respectively. But not your wonderful patina. . .

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

The window winder mechanism or as we call it the window crank thing. My Grandpa had a truck that had a manual widow crank and it was always fun to play with it but then he would get on to us for doing that.
JAT
Jeff T

egads

Post by egads »

Jeff, SDR and I even remember vehicles with wind wing* windows! Some even had those "crank things"

*these were little triangle windows toward the front of the two front doors. They were essential for cigarette smoking. (yes vehicles used to have ashtrays as well)

DRN

Post by DRN »

Vent wings and fresh air vents in the foot wells made cars without air conditioning habitable. Their demise was tied to the automakers goal of selling more cars with the highly profitable A/C option.

Interesting how this thread has evolved to talk about 1950's cars...wasn't Jack Lamberson a car dealer?

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Egads: That is what it is I was saying :Crank Things". Now I have never heard of wind wings. Off topic: I have an ad for a 1954 Dodge I picked up a few years ago. I am big into cars but haven't had the time to get my license so I collect toy cars instead not just any Johnny Lightning.
JAT
Jeff T