Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

24 TV Premier/Usonian Building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Adams

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: 24 TV Premier/Usonian Building Reply with quote

Did any of you see the television premier of 24? Much of it was filmed inside a structure with some strong Usonian influence
guestnow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched my first episode of "24" tonight. Much of it took place in this strongly Usonian home. In the context of the show, the house is located in California. They said this in the dialogue.
rgrant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the amount of room needed to photograph a scene, and the limited amount of space in most of the Usonian houses, in all probability it was a set on a studio stage. Many set decorators use images taken from architecture to design their sets. One wall of the nightmarish house on "Big Brother" last season was decorated with a grille based on one designed by John DeKoven Hill for a house he built in Cincinnati in the 50s. I remember an awards show in the 70s that used a geometric pattern from a Lloyd Wright gate!
Wrighter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did not appear to be a soundstage, but I doubt it was pure Usonian, as far as size. It did have a number of Wright influences, including the fireplace and mantle (A single, concrete shelf inserted into the brick). But it also had a number of elements suggesting work by an admirer or apprentice (for instance, a regular vertical seam in the brickwork at periodic points). It was, however, an interesting structure. I'm assuming that the exterior shots with the water elements were of the same structure, since the brick pattern continued. Did others get that same impression?
guestnow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: "Camp Frank Lloyd Wright" Reply with quote

I did a quick Google search concerning this California residence of the President in "24". Probably, the many who obsess over the shows's many convoluted details know more about where it is filmed.

I did find a discussion that called the place "Camp Frank Lloyd Wright".
guestnow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: "24" house question solved. Reply with quote

A few minutes ago, I read an article in a magazine about set designer Joseph Hodges, who works on "24". The house is nothing but sets. He designed it with "swanky 1950's Southern California" interiors in mind.[/url]
KevinW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: alias Reply with quote

This seasons premier of Alias with Jennifer Garner was filmed at the Benson House in Malibu, designed by Wes Peters. For whatever that is worth....
Wrighter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guestnow--Thanks for the information. But I'm puzzled that the set designer saw that as swanky 50's interior. When I think swanky 50's I think more of the Matt Helm films (or were those early 60's?). Those lines seemed a bit clean to be "swanky."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: