Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

34 recent shots of Goetsch-Winkler house (Interior/Exterior)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Jarolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbrook-

The 'pass through' shown in photo EL15 is one of six storage shelves located off the gallery adjacent to the first bedroom. Note the pattern in the rug in this photo and the same rug in photo EL42.

Perusing the book "Affordable Dreams" reveals that the two double doored closets shown in this area on the Storrer book floor plan are in fact one double door closet at the living room end with this 6 high shelf arrangement occupying the next 4 feet in plan. One can see more horizontal piano hinges, above the open front, in the photo. Drawings reproduced in the book show that these 2 foot deep shelves were to slide out for easy access. Whether they were built this way I can't tell from the photo. The drawings also show 2 knobs on each folddown board. EL15 shows a discolored area at the upper left. Could that be where a knob was originally?
RonMcCrea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's it like in the lanai? It looks like a prison exercise yard with those high walls.
Mobius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must concur!

Given the shape of the terrain around the house, I would have imagined that the Lanai was hard to argue for - unless it's the only of true privacy available.

I always wondered too, why Frank didn't drop the windows right down to the floor in the lounge.'

I think the home is magical, and the years seem to have been relatively kind to it - but in saying that, it looks like some of the interior could use some TLC.

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic photos! Clean & uncluttered...

Last edited by JimM on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ed Jarolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Lanai Reply with quote

From the book "Affordable Dreams": "Alma Goetsch, who admitted to 'having a few qualms about moving to the country,' added a postscript in which she asked Wright to 'make my bedroom give me a feeling of security'.... The two bedrooms open out onto a lanai, a type of enclosed courtyard or open-sided living room found in Hawaii and adapted by Wright for the first time at Taliesin. This device, doubtless intended at least partially to assuage Alma Goetsch's need to feel secure in her 'country' bedroom, did not mean a retreat from nature, but rather a more essential and immediate connection with it."

The lanai wall being 4 units high, about 4'-6", do not prevent a view down into the glen when standing next to it, but step back a little and the view is confined to treetops and sky. That was my 6'-1" tall perception of this space. Alma standing 5'-2" undoubtedly got the secure feeling she desired.

I quite agree with the coment regarding the living room windows not going all the way to the floor. It would seem the inside-outside spacial flow would have been much improved. Also they look somewhat awkward sitting up on two board courses. Perhaps this was another attempt at security for Alma.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the early shots by Leavenworth that are reproduced in "Affordable Dreams." I'd gladly sacrifice color to have these pristine as-built photos,
every time ! Putting them together with modern (or vintage ?) color shots completes the "picture," of course. . .

The fact that the living-room windows don't open onto a terrace may have affected their size -- though the exterior composition may also have been on
Wright's mind. Recall that he fought Lloyd Lewis for the height of the terrace parapet, there, against the client's wish for a sit-down view of the river;
could this have been for any reason other than the size of the parapet as seen from the exterior ?

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could "security" also translate to "privacy"?

two single young women living together could raise eyebrows; perhaps it was to protect their privacy. this is perhaps irrelevant, but were they lesbians?
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find any issue relevant if it may have contributed to design choices. . .

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm: Your comment about the possible relationship of the owners may be the reason for the lanai that was hiding out in the open...I hadn't put the pieces together. Unless you hang drapes, a Wright bedroom is very exposed.
"Affordable Dreams" neither confirmed nor denied that Goetsch and Winckler had a lesbian relationship, but a note in the following article more directly addresses their relationship:

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing/archives/050302/coverstory/printable/index-p.asp

Not proof by any means, but a possible indication.
Olgivanna

Location: Taliesin, Spring Green, WI & Taliesin West, Scottsdale, AZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I’d share my comments on this house.

- The house was originally designed for a different solar orientation and was adapted to this site. The women were the ones who found the site and Wright sited the house on it. South, I believe, was originally to be facing the living room windows so sun would come in all day. Currently, not sited that was so dark inside.

- In letter to Wright G-W requested a lot of privacy off the bedroom wing. So, that is why the wall is around it. I have been inside the house and it definitely doesn’t yield a prison yard affect but complete opposite.

- The cantilevered trellises in the old photos were removed. There was an article in Old House Journal a few years ago about the complete roof repair along with differences between what was drawn and built. The trellises if I recall correctly were left off due to cost issues.

- This is probably the only Wright Usonian that has a completely open workspace to the rest of the house.

- The house was sold to an owner in Laguna Beach, CA for $400k 2 or 3 years ago.
RonMcCrea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I posed my lippy question about the lanai, I've been thinking that it echoes the walled garden Wright imagined for the front of his never-built residence in Fiesole, Italy circa 1910.

Maybe the women liked to sunbathe. And they did have a dog.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if a neighboring house was anticipated that would have overlooked the bedroom wing. Seems doubtful, considering that the long wall of the lanai faces a considerable downhill slope -- doesn't it ? In fact, the only flat ground, amenable to peeping, is where the fence has an opening in it !

SDR
Olgivanna

Location: Taliesin, Spring Green, WI & Taliesin West, Scottsdale, AZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pg. 73 of Affordable Dreams. Due North it the very top. You can easily see how and why. Relation to surounding houses. It would be neat to compare this to the built drawing from Storrer if that can be posted too.

The high wall was used quite a bit. Baird had one off the end bedroom and when I was inside it was wonderful private space. Murihead also has one too. Rosenbaum...

I am sure it wasn't for sun baithing. Probably just two women who wanted privacy and security - as many Wright homeowners do.
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The broad wall of the lanai faces west on the built structure. the living room bank of windows is southwast according to Storrer. My parents, from their first years post WWII, had good friends in academic circles on several different campuses who lived sucessful partnerships of same * committed love. Academic worlds, at least on midwestern campuses I know, were enlightened in an quiet, professional, and accepting way. I suspect the walled lanai had more to do with things that go bump in the night, deer, ground hogs, breezes and hoot owls. In essence it created a room in the outdoors with fewer distractions for reading, drawing, painting and writing. I am no good at longitudinal/latitudinal stuff- but would the open end of the lania allow view of the setting sun? (*ed. Sorry, but apparently that is a 3 letter world that signals disapproval from somewhere.)

Last edited by Palli Davis Holubar on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: