Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Poll: Anonymous posting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the administrator of this message board develop and implement a policy allowing only registered users the ability to post messages?
Yes
73%
 73%  [ 11 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Requires further discussion
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

wisenheimer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: It amazes me... Reply with quote

...that as developed an intellect as most of the people who post to this forum have (or at least think they have), so many also have such an under-developed sense of humor. Lighten up. Maybe if some of the stuffed shirts would get their nose out of the air and realize how snobby they come across in so many of their posts, people wouldn't be drawn to poke fun at them. I, for one, find the prententious tone of some of the more frequent posters more offensive than the occasional off-color jabs at those posters. That's just my anonymous opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here here

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote NO.

Mensen die het engels niet zo goed beheersen en dus aarzelen om in het engels te schrijven kunnen toch af en toe een nuttige bijdrage leveren aan het forum bv door een interessante link te plaatsen.

Do you get what I mean?
ball980

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Respond Reply with quote

pharding wrote:
This board will be more meaningful and intersting if each poster is registered and lists a location.

Do not forget to let us know what actually happens i the end.
Pdean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Registered users Reply with quote

I recently registered to take part in the chat room due to the fact that I'm very fond of FLW works and am proud to be associated with the conservancy. I however, see no reason why someone who chooses not to register should be disallowed to post as long as post are on subject, and follow all normal protocal parameters associated with any such chat room.

PDean

Dallas TX.
Reidy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main argument for requiring logins is that you are likelier to get the kind of posts you describe if you make this rule.

Peter
Just Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: I vote no Reply with quote

Keep it open for all - I don't care to register but do like to occasionally read a post or write in a comment. By requiring registration you will keep a lot of interesting material from even being posted and scare some people away from the site.
hertz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Register to post? Reply with quote

I am the moderator of a listserve related to my 'day job.' We do not require posters to belong to the association that hosts the list, but we have some standards of on-line etiquette. We have blocked two people from posting in three or four years, because their tone was distracting to the list.

I think it is fine to let anyone post here, and encourage robust discussion, with one caveat, which would be needed regardless of whether one registers, or not. There needs to be a moderator who occasionally scans the posts and will remove any defamatory or possibly libelous messages.

Mark Hertzberg
JimM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be more scrutiny of the posts, as long as strong opinion is not censored. It should be easier to participate than not, and better moderation is the antidote to requiring registration. The most opinionated posts, as well as those that might appear inane, often breed interesting discussion.

The easiest posts to challenge are those that intend only to criticize the poster, not the content of their post. This board will be diluted of interest and helpful information if anyone, perceived "snob" or not, does not post due to possible personal criticism. Who wants to be attacked for joining in?

Yes, we can all take it, but posts offering nothing to a discussion should not make it to the boards.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree stronger moderation would be a good idea.

Mandatory registration won't necessarily solve the problem..take note of "ball980" a user that registered on Dec. 9 2005; all 5 posts are inane sentences or phrases used as a vehicle to insert a link to a gambling site.

My concern over registration is the possibility of more spam to my address resulting from the registration.
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As pointed out several times, requiring users to register will not eliminate useless posts, but it will stop somebody from posting using somebody else's name... cough... my name... cough.
Peter Beers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Good reasons to register... Reply with quote

So far this message board appears to have flown under the radar of people who might spam a board that allows annonymous posting. That can't go on for ever. Trust me, when the spammers find this place, you won't recognize it.

If people are required to register, there is a sense of community that is built. Even if we don't necessarily know each other's real identity, you build a reputation and personality on the board. That gives an element of credibility to the things that you say and the things that you contribute. That is totally lost when you have anonymous posts. I know many of the people on this board. I respect their desire for privacy. That privacy can be maintained while still allowing people to be a member of this community.

Thanks.

Pete
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: To register or not to register-that is the question! Reply with quote

Well said, Peter.
Peter Beers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of another reason why it would be nice to be a registerred user. As a registerred user, you can go back and edit and sometimes remove your old posts. While this isn't something that you'd do often, it makes it possible to fix mistakes in a comment that you made.

That thought dawned on me because I was posting somewhere and accidentally hit "submit" when I meant to hit "preview". It was easily fixed because I registerred. :D

Registerred users have the ability to take discussions off-line without posting their e-mail address in the forum for all to spam. The Instant Messaging functionality of this message board software is good and easy to use. It doesn't work, however, for non-registerred users.

Pete
rgrant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantages to registering are not in question, only the advisability of requiring registration. I have seen many sites that require registration, and the quality of the posts is far below this site. Try IMDb, for instance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: