Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Can FLW "Block" houses Be Built Today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the intention...is it to build a house exactly as outlined in Wright plans? I'm no expert, but I'm sure there are a lot of issues with that endeavor. Or is the idea to maintain the spacial flow and materials, but make adjustments given new materials and techniques. Walls would have to be thicker for insulation. Roofing materials would be state of the art and might require more support. Insulated glass might require thicker frames. flexible tubing instead of pipes for radiant heating might require a different floor system...maybe even giving up the concrete pad concept for a crawl space.

Were the thin walls and other economies Wright incorporated simply to lower the always high cost of his designs? What systems did he employ for his big-budget domestic designs?

Deke
RJH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am speaking pure visually.

Examples are using PEX tubing instead of metal pipe, use of better insulation, keeping all walls exact same widths and such. Using better roof framing is okay just as long as the results are so that dimensions and it is visually the same as Wright drew.

To me an example of a failure is how the FLFF’s Legacy house in Ireland was built with thicker brick walls in order to meet insulation code requirements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: