Poll: Anonymous posting

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

Should the administrator of this message board develop and implement a policy allowing only registered users the ability to post messages?

Yes
73%
No
20%
Requires further discussion
7%

Total votes: 15

flwright

Poll: Anonymous posting

Post by flwright »

With respect to recent discussions about anonynous posting, perhaps this is an opportune time to poll the users of this message board about thightened restrictions for a Guest's ability to post messages.
Morgan

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

As for privacy, if you want to keep a secret, don't post to Wright Chat.

Peter

pharding

Post by pharding »

This is the only message board of which I am aware that permits anonymous posts by visitors. This board will be more meaningful and intersting if each poster is registered and lists a location.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

rgrant

Post by rgrant »

Paul, I disagree with your point of view. It is just as likely for registered posters to be rude, stupid and boring, and for guests to have something of interest to share. Knowing who's who does nothing to raise the bar.

Wrighter

posting policy

Post by Wrighter »

My objections to a switch in policy start with a practical one. I have one main computer in which my login information is saved. Should I ever post away from that computer--I would frankly be at a loss to remember my login information.

I also find it easy in general to ignore nasty, off-topic, or malicious posts. And given that registration is such an easy process, I wonder if requiring it would really be a preventive measure of any kind. Isn

anonymous posting

Post by Guest »

Speaking as an owner of a Wright house, I like the option of being able to participate in this very public forum while protecting my privacy. (If anyone is truly interested in a particular house, there are ways to identify and contact the owners - who are generally more than happy to talk about their houses!) I may be among the minority of poll respondents, but I hope the Conservancy recognizes that there those who are reluctant to advertise their identities on the worldwide web who may, nonetheless, have something of value to contribute.

JimM

Post by JimM »

I agree with both points of view! The only advantage to registering would be the possibility of reducing the number of personal attacks.

In the end, you can only hope for the best. Of course, charging even a small posting fee would eliminate them completely! .... and I'm sure someone out there will think I'm serious about that.

pharding

Re: anonymous posting

Post by pharding »

Anonymous wrote:Speaking as an owner of a Wright house, I like the option of being able to participate in this very public forum while protecting my privacy. (If anyone is truly interested in a particular house, there are ways to identify and contact the owners - who are generally more than happy to talk about their houses!) I may be among the minority of poll respondents, but I hope the Conservancy recognizes that there those who are reluctant to advertise their identities on the worldwide web who may, nonetheless, have something of value to contribute.
It is possible to be a registered user and do so anonymously. The FLW Building Conservancy is extremely discrete when it comes to protecting the identity of homeowners.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

pharding

Post by pharding »

rgrant wrote:Paul, I disagree with your point of view. It is just as likely for registered posters to be rude, stupid and boring, and for guests to have something of interest to share. Knowing who's who does nothing to raise the bar.
This modest change will only bring this board up to industry standards for chat boards and make it more useful and civil. Posting here should be a privilege and not a birthright. The implication to the poster is that privileges can be rescinded. One can be registered and remain anonymous. An identity, even an anonymous identity, and location will make reading the posts more meaningful. This will also serve to reduce spam. Another advantage if one finds a registered user to be a bore, like pharding for example, one can turn off posts by that registered user.

K. Bringe - Unity Temple

Civility and Dialogue

Post by K. Bringe - Unity Temple »

It's a measure of Mr. Wright's genius that he still evokes such passion.

That said, previous requests for basic manners and respect by the Administrator have gone unheeded and it is now in their hands.

I agree that registration is necessary but a registration type that will allow homeowners to feel safe -- yet allow the administrator to ban those childish posters who choose to abuse this privelage.

One more thing -- I hope everyone who derives benefits from this board also contributes to the Conservancy.

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

This forum has served well for many levels of FLLW enthusiasts, whether looking for solutions to a building problem, announcing events, or simply chatting about the architecture. The rude and profane will surface now and then, whether registered or not. So what. Let them live in their miserable world. But lets encourage participation, even from those who may be stupid and boring, which may be most of us.

Doug Kottum, Battle Lake, MN

???

Post by ??? »

I am new to chat rooms in general. This topic is interesting however. Has it ever been suggested that the members of a chat room agree and abide by a code that all aggressive and rude posts are completely ignored thus employing the psychological behavioral concept of "extinction." It works in all species form the lowly rat to the lowly human... Just a thought. Furthermore, I agree with the thought that new users of a chat room are more likely to initially participate if their participation is anonymous; worked for me. Finally, if this chat room is unique in this respect, it is an interesting experiment and should be given more debate. Mr. Wright might have appreciated such anonymity and the freedom of choice to further new thinking. Then again, his disdain for the "mobocracy" may have dictated otherwise.

dkottum

The poll

Post by dkottum »

By the way, there is a built-in glitch in the above poll that predetermines the outcome. If you are not registered, you cannot vote.

Doug Kottum, Battle Lake, MN

Post by Guest »

I noticed the glitch in the poll too and would have voted "no" (in favor of anonymity).

none

Post by none »

I vote not to register.

Take a look at the FLW Forum. There you have to register to post. That board is dead. At least here we have some volume. If we had a ton of posters then I would say one must register. We only have a hanful of posters and registering does not make sense.