Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

E. Fay Jones home FOR SALE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lauri Cawthon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: E. Fay Jones home FOR SALE Reply with quote

Beautiful home for sale in Northwest Arkansas. See website and then call Lauri Cawthon @ remax- www.applegatebyfayjones.com

www.remax-results-ar.com then agent Lauri Cawthon

1-800-640-9499
479-544-6878
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this.

Your presentation of this significant work of architecture (it is more than just a property for sale) is excellent. When possible all listings of this type should have the history, the plan, the current photos, and even the construction photos, to tell the story.

The house was only listed as a built work, not covered in photos or drawings, in Robert Ivy's 1990 book on Mr. Jones, so it is truly a treat to see these photos and the plan.

Seems a bargain at $1.9 million considering the prices of many lesser houses. I'm not familiar with the local housing costs in AK, but proximity to WalMart's corporate office should provide a pool of candidates.

Best of luck, its a great house; there are few large houses of the post war era that wear their size this well.
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Applegate House plan is a striking departure from the majority of Jones' published work. Most of what I have seen published from the '50's through the '80's has been grid based (sometimes tartan, sometimes not), and often symetrical. Even when Jones' plans are not perfectly symetrical, they have an implied symetry through their balance. Jones' plans I feel have a kinship with some of Wright's pre-1910 Prairie plans in their strict or implied symetry, though there could be occaisonal departures in Jones' work such as the "grotto' basement in "Stoneflower" in Eden Isle, this house is a departure at a much larger scale.

The plan has an almost Bruce Goff-esque approach to responding to the natural world. It is literally free form and organic rather than a geometrical abstraction of the natural world usually associated with Jones or Wright.

The use of a flat roof is unusual for Jones as well. The irregular shape of the plan and need to incorporate circular skylights for the spaces below probably dictated it. I wonder if the white fascia is a later occurence. It is unlike Jones typical palette.

It is interesting to see furniture not designed by Jones in one of his houses. The furniture seems so lost and dissonent, but the rooms are so strong, the furniture has difficulty distracting the eye. Still I can see why Jones took the furniture design page from Wright's book, it does keep the visual peace.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
JimM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice house. A good example of organic architecture, from an original who actually respected Wright without stooping to imitation and regurgitation.

I just hope Jones didn't have to suffer the trashy and uncomplementary furnishings currently in situ!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Jones. But certainly not as good as Mr. Wright. They all keep trying.....but none can pull it off!
Phil Adams

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a spectacular home, but I do wonder who did the
pharding

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I like Jones. But certainly not as good as Mr. Wright. They all keep trying.....but none can pull it off!

E. Fay Jones pulled it off at Thorncrown Chapel. With the sole exception of Unity Temple, E. Fay Jone's Thorncrown Chapel exceeds every place of worship by Wright in my opinion. Thorncrown Chapel clearly shows the influence of Wright, but in a fresh creative way that resulted in a unique, powerful building. In terms of technical detailing Thorncrown Chapel probably excceds most of what Wright did. At Thorncrown Chapel E. Fay Jones achieves the broad "cantilevered" eaves that FLW preferred without the deflection with time. E. Fay Jones was a great architect drew inspiration from the work of Frank Lloyd Wright.
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: E. Fay Jones home FOR SALE Reply with quote

Paul-

I could not agree with you more about Thorncrown Chapel. Fay Jones really got it when it came to understanding the principles of organic architecture. The building truly appears to have grown up out of the ground, it is so at one with its surroundings.

By any chance have you also seen the Mildred Cooper Memorial in Arkansas by Fay Jones? In my humble opinion, it is equally as stunning as Thorncrown Chapel. Although there are certainly many similarities between the two, to my eye they are similar yet different; Thorncrown being more earthy and rustic, Cooper more elegant and refined.

Any thoughts?
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always viewed Thorncrown and Cooper as essentially the same concept for a building type, the non-denominational chapel, rendered in two different materials: wood vs. steel. Jones showed his understanding of the nature of wood and steel eloquently in these two buildings with the straight lines of wood in Thorncrown and the curved lines of steel in Cooper. Some have sniped that Cooper's curves are to literally Gothic, and accused Jones of temporary Post-modernism, I see the curves as an expression of the malleability of steel and an elegant expression at that.

I have not visited Thorncrown, but my wife and I were married at Jones' Pinecote Pavilion in Picayune, Mississippi, which though un-enclosed, shares many structural details with Thorncrown. I was quite taken with the elegant simplicity of the # shaped steel connectors of the wood chords which allowed all members to be in the same plane and provide at certain angles an abstraction of the way sunlight shimmers through a forest canopy.

Yeah, Jones had it.
Lauri Cawthon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Bentonville, 5 miles from the Cooper Chapel...It's very beautiful in a perfect setting.
479-544-6878

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Jones came close to Wright. Wright was the best and Jones copied many of FLW's features. As for his chapel...maybe Jones had a larger budget then Wright. It would be interesting to see what Jones and FLW would have pulled off if their budgets were equal and their clients needs were the same. My money is on Mr. Wright!
JimM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones' chapels can be appreciated without the obligatory deference to Wright. His earlier work, like many others, was understandably derivative as opportunities to build and experiment arose. As his art matured, he specifically surpassed Wright in my opinion concerning the chapels as organic, spiritual places.

Unity Temple is an architectural masterpiece, an one gets a different spirituality (wonderment?) gazing up at Unity Temples pinwheeling skylights. Each skylights extended wood trim in different orientations is pure Wrightian genius! All modern spiritual buildings owe a debt to the Unitarian Chapel as well as Lloyd Wrights Wayfarers Chapel.

Jones had "it".
Paula

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I assume that the white statue near the waterfall/pool is NOT original?

Please?!?!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: