Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Schaberg House to be Auctioned

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Schaberg House to be Auctioned Reply with quote

The Chicago Tribune, Business Section, Page 5 - FLW's Schaberg House, Okemos, MI, to be auctioned by Indland Real Estate.
JimM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see if the minimum bid is any of the recent asking prices! I certainly wish Schaberg all the luck to get maximum "value", and I have no idea what $1.2 million will buy in Okemos. For the longest time he seems to be the only one who agrees it is worth that. A great house, but not one of the "classics".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This house is very nice, even if enlarged too much, but the site seems to lack the inspiration that brought out the best in Wright, especially with the Usonians. Jim mentions the "classics", which makes me think of the Walker house in Carmel, Fallingwater, or Teater in Wyoming. The materials are of the site, and the dramatic forms perfectly reflect their individual surroundings. I suppose my favorite "classic" Usonian in an suburban setting would be Zimmerman, where the elegance of common builder materials are so simply but beautifully expressed in an especially tiny house.

Doug Kottum, Battle Lake
JimM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmerman is indeed a beautiful house. I think one of the elements that he used so successfully, and not commonly found in the Usonians, was the decorative block integrated with the brick. It elevates a very good design to elegant perfection.

My personal favorite remains Lewis where, while Usonian to the core, he captured approach and movement through interior space comparable only to Coonley perhaps (and certainly others, including Taliesin of course!)
Reidy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This raises a question of terminology. We're applying "Usonian" to any Wright house from the mid-30s on, but my understanding is that it's a more restrictive term, applying to a mid-size, mid-budget (by Wright's standards) permanent home with an open kitchen and, nearly always, slab floors and radiant heat; often the clients did at least part of the work themselves. By these criteria, Schaberg, Lewis and Fallingwater would not qualify.

(What a coincidence. Lewis and Coonley are my favorite home interiors.)

Peter
shannan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If were talking a tiny usonian in a suburban setting . . . my favorite is the John Hayne House in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: