Goetsch Winkler

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
PNB

Goetsch Winkler

Post by PNB »

Some time ago I thought I read a posting about one of my very favorite FLLW houses - Goetsch Winkler. I was sure this referenced a book about this house. I thought I kept the posting but as often I can not find it. Can someone please enlighten me about its title?

As long as we are on the subject I know this house was sold maybe a year or so ago and in need of restoration. Does anyone know if the current owners are restoring the house?

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Could this be what you are thinking of?:

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:aj ... cd=5&gl=us

David

Dr. Peter Faukner

Post by Dr. Peter Faukner »

I have been inside the house. It is a lovely design. The previous owner said it sold close to $400,000. The new owner resides in California. Not sure of any restoration. The book is titled, Affordable Dreams.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The house is a lovely design. I wish the same could be said for the covers of the book.
But it's an excellent publication nevertheless, with precise information and many inter-
esting and useful black and white illustrations.

PNB

Post by PNB »

Thank you for answering my question on this. I think I have a line on purchasing one of these books. Another GW question - it seems I saw reference once to a second FLLW GW house that was designed but not built - is this so and do any pictures exist of the plans?

EJ

Post by EJ »

There was a second GW house planned for the two women, as was an unbuilt addition to the first house. Its all in the Affordable Dreams book. The 2nd house was too big and grandiose (and expensive) so it was never built. G&W later retired to Arkansas where Fay Jones designed them an interesting house (also in the book).

That book, by the way, I think can still be purchased at the Kresge Art Museum on the campus of Michigan State University. Google them and give them a call!
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

SDR

Post by SDR »

G/W II, from "Treasures of Taliesin"; remaining images from "Affordable Dreams." Certain details mark this a copy of John Howe's style, but not the real thing.

Image detail

Image detail

I can make out "carport" "utility" "cooking" "living room" "loggia" "storage" "gallery" "studio"

A 1949 prototype for a (grand) 'fiities "ranch". . .

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNB

Post by PNB »

Thank you SDR - Your scans make this site so much more enjoyable!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, PNB. Oddly, I get better resolution of half-tone reproductions from my 2 MP camera, hand-held, than from the HP all-in-one scanner. The two smaller b+w images above are scanned; the remaining images were photographed. The printed images were dark and not very sharp, in this case.

SDR

archfan

Post by archfan »

The museum has Affordable Dreams shown here:

http://www.artmuseum.msu.edu/home/store ... ations.htm

You can only order by printing out a form, and mailing it and a check to them.

How quaint!

Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I have a bunch of stuff about the GW house up at my domain: http://4sure.co.nz/gw- enjoy!
How many escape pods are there? "NONE, SIR!" You counted them? "TWICE, SIR!"

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wow -- you do ! Thanks, mobius. I learn for the first time that steel has been added to the carport cantilever, and that there is a slight gradient up the drive to the building site. Some lovely stuff there, too, including the interesting site collage, and that delicately colored version of the classic Jaguar-in-the-carport photo -- the photo that I think must have given Mies a tickle.

SDR