Mahony/Burley Griffin/Niedecken Home for sale...

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
pharding

Post by pharding »

Does anyone know what house this beautiful light fixture is from? Where is this photograph from? It is vaguely similar to the dining room suspended lamps at the Mrs. Thomas Gale House and the Henderson House.
Paul Harding FAIA Owner and Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, the First Prairie School House in Chicago | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

SDR

Post by SDR »

Any architect will value a dependable source of workmanship; better still if that source is creative enough to respect and admire the nature of the work he is given. One thinks of the brothers Hall, who realized the furniture designs of the brothers Greene.

I am glad to hear direct evidence of the quality of Niedecken's work.

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

As noted, the photo appears as the frontispiece in "The Prairie School Tradition," edited by Brian A Spencer (Whitney Library of Design, 1979). The Goderstads are presumably the owners of this piece. The small cubes at the upper corners relate it to the Irving house lanterns and to the bases of the Dana and Robie table lamps (and to certain Secessionist designs ?) while the square stringing with its cruciform terminations compares directly to the May house lamp shown and to other Wright pieces, I believe.

The form of the C-shaped support rising from the base is echoed in the wood lamp with pyramidal wood-framed parchment (?) shade that is ubiquitous in later Wright homes.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Somehow that does not look to me like a residential piece. My guess would be possibly the Frank Smith Bank in Dwight, IL ... although there is no art glass shown in the record of that building. At 20 x 16.5 x 12 it is a very large lamp.

SDR, do you know the history of the Robie lamp? Sometime in the 50s, a man came upon the lamp in a trash bin behind the house, saved it, restored it, and at the height of the FLW auction craze in the 80s sold it at Southeby's to a dealer for $750K. The day after, Barbra Streisand paid $1,000,000 for it. I believe she has now sold all her FLW collection, so it's in the wind again.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Goodness, no -- I'd not heard that story. (As you probably remember Streisand set the bar for Arts and Crafts prices when she bought a Stickley sideboard for $363,000 at Christie's in 1988. She sold it for $596,500 in 1997.)

THIS is a large lamp -- the shade is 32" x 19" and the lamp stands 23 1/4" high. The reproduction shown (with bronze base) is available from the Dana-Thomas House Foundation -- or was when Maddex's book went to press in 1992.

I note that the Robie lamp, which appears to have an identical shade (does anyone think that's strange ?) and an identical base casting, has a different panel from the green-class one of the Dana lamp. The Robie lamp seems to have a ribbed panel of some sort. . .

Although I agree that the mystery lamp seems somehow institutional in nature, its wooden construction says 'residential' to me. But I've been wrong many times before. Perhaps it stood on an executive desk, in a walnut-trimmed office ? Somewhere, I've seen hanging panels of art glass like this lamp has.

Is walnut an unusual specie for Wright ?

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Speaking of Babs, I overheard a couple of A&C dealers talking some years ago. One said that he had a dining room set that she was interested in. She asked the price, and he said "48." By which he meant $4,800. She pulled out her check book and wrote him a check for $48,000!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Hmm. Anybody have her email ? I have some stuff I don't need. . .

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Back to the unknown lamp at the top of the page...

I happened to have Bert Goderstad's email address so I asked him about it and this is what he said:

Paul--I did own the lamp. Brian Spensor used it in the show he orgnzed in Milwaukee. And he put in a promiment place in the book. Unfortnately I sold the lamp before I received the book and have kicking myself ever since. I bought the lamp from a Carroll Simons who was aan antique dealer here in Hastings. He claimed he bought it from Mrs. Wright when she was here. I do not know when that was. I sold the lamp to two young guys who said that they had a Purcell-Elmslie house in Minneapolis. I have their name somewhere but have not found it yet.
--Bert

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thank you, Paul. We are at the beginning of the end of this mystery -- though there is something fishy-sounding about the antique dealer's claim (was Mrs Wright toting this fragile piece around in her baggage looking for a buyer ? Why would she be in posession of it ? Perhaps it appears in a photo taken at Taliesin ?).

The square stringing is strongly Wrightian (or Niedeckian ?), the form of the vertical glass panels less so (to me). I continue to search my references for a clue. . .

It is an exciting object, I agree.

SDR

D. Shawn Beckwith

Post by D. Shawn Beckwith »

SDR and Mr. Harding thanks for your input, well taken
Shawn B

PSTraveler

Post by PSTraveler »

Re Niedecken: You may be interested to see a house design attributed to GMN.

http://prairieschooltraveler.com/html/w ... ridge.html

SDR

Post by SDR »

In this old thread we came really close to making an interesting connection. I have just come across
the photo I should have presented, a shot of a wall lantern at the E P Irving residence:

detail of photo by Yukio Futagawa, c. 1975

Could the unknown lamp discussed earlier in the thread be a companion to the Irving wall lantern above ?

If so, who would have designed these pieces ? Mahony ? Niedecken ?

While I'm at it, I also found, earlier this year, a companion photo to the one already presented, of the
combination furniture piece which belongs to the Irving residence. We now see both faces of this
interesting piece -- still missing its reported lantern feature. Could the table lamp above be that lantern ?

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

My guess is that the furniture was sketched by FLW before going to Europe, worked on by Mahony, and detailed by Niedeken. But that's just speculation. The built in light fixture is probably Mahony, so too the odd top drawers; I cannot see FLW designing that detail.

The lamp looks like Mahony. Find a Joel Silver era photo of the Storer interior; he bought a lamp by Mahony from Scott Eliot that, while very different from the above, has a feel about it that suggests Mahony over Wright.

SDR

Post by SDR »

(Left foreground)

http://www.ambienceimages.co.uk/media/7 ... a-exterior

Roderick, is it the white-glass table lamp with hex-plan shade ? This is known to be by Mahony ?

SDR