Taliesin West

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
capie

Taliesin West

Post by capie »

Do any of you have drawings of the trapezoidal doors in Taliesin West ...?
There should be two

Thanks

SDR

Re: Taliesin West

Post by SDR »

Hi, capie. Knock yourself out: https://library.artstor.org/#/search/Ta ... =1;size=48

and let us know what you found ?

S

capie

Post by capie »

A marvel ... thanks ...

capie

Post by capie »

hi SDR, the site is very interesting... unfortunately I don't see the trapezoidal-shaped doors that fascinate me so much... patience

SDR

Post by SDR »

Do you know where in the building they are found ?

S

JimM

Post by JimM »

Stephen... I believe there are a few such doors. The only one I'm familiar with and sure dates to Wright would be at his office, adjacent to the cabaret theater.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Jim. No one should be surprised if drawings or sketches of such doors can't be found; Wright is said to have sketched details on scraps of wood for changes in his own two campuses.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

JimM was kind enough to go looking for images of angled doors at Taliesin West, and came up with these:

Jim offers that, of the smaller photos, the first two doors are found at the office, the last he believes is not by Mr Wright, and that the larger image might also be at the office. "Hard to trace by plan," he comments . . .

S

HOJO

Post by HOJO »

Larger image: west side of the drafting room next to the entrance to the vault.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Thanks! Never suspected a door was there from photos shot from across the room... so the overhead trusses would be parallel to the door "header". Must have been a frequently used shortcut.

capie

Post by capie »

thank you all ... from my heart ... another of these magnificent doors is in the room with the piano and the harp ...

Rood

Post by Rood »

JimM wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:56 pm
Thanks! Never suspected a door was there from photos shot from across the room... so the overhead trusses would be parallel to the door "header". Must have been a frequently used shortcut.
Yes about the "header", but in my long experience at TW, few ever went out onto the small terrace at the west end of the Draughting Room. The door might have been opened temporarily, at times, for fresh air, or for some other purpose, but it was never used as a "shortcut".

The third of the three small images is the door below the bell tower ... leading to the kitchen and dining room ... Unlike the door at the west end of the Draughting Room, it is one of the most used doors at Taliesin West.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Is Jim correct in surmising that the bell-tower door might be post-Wright ? Sorry that my familiarity with TW history isn't what it could be . . .

Not to be utterly pedantic, but two of the doors are irregular hexagons, the other two irregular pentagons---I believe.

S

HOJO

Post by HOJO »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Good. And it should be stressed that the shapes of these doors is not some kind of willful weirdness but simply the result of the voids---the negative forms---left between the battered desert-concrete walls . . .

S