A digression ... but still in the arts.

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

A digression ... but still in the arts.

Post by Roderick Grant »

I'm not big on "Best Ten ..." lists. Usually, if asked about the 10 greatest entertainers, past or present, I just say, "All ten votes go to Ethel Waters," and have done with it. But recently I have been reminded of 2 great actors whom I haven't seen for a long time. One is little-known, because of a short life: Frank Lovejoy (1912-1962). His best known movie was "I Was a Communist for the F. B. I." (1951) which was transferred to TV as "I Led Three Lives." It is airing on TV soon. He was a great actor who deserved more than his usual second lead.

But I write today to encourage all who watch PBS to check your schedule for a 2019 ninety-minute TV film, "Elizabeth Is Missing," starring Glenda Jackson, after a 27-year break. It's about the progression of dementia. Sounds like a downer, doesn't it? It isn't. It is, to any actor with a hint of acting knowledge, a seminar in the art of Melpomene. Perfection by one of the greatest of all time.

SDR

Re: A digression ... but still in the arts.

Post by SDR »

The first film is running (as "I was a . . .) this week on Movies!, a VHF broadcast channel. Saw a minute or two during lunch today; I'll look for it again. The second I saw most of, the other night. Afterward they ran a docu quoting the younger actors, who said what a pleasure it was working with the old pro. "The years haven't half aged her !" is what one would expect a wise-cracking Brit to say; wizened doesn't do her face justice. Too many cigarettes ? But what a good story . . .

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

Stephen Cowdery

Post by Stephen Cowdery »

I saw Elizabeth is Missing and I agree with Roderick 100%.
BTW, Glenda was a MP from 1992-2015!

SDR

Post by SDR »

"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)