Imperial Hotel dishes for sale

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Imperial Hotel dishes for sale

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Re: Imperial Hotel dishes for sale

Post by Roderick Grant »

This was a simplification of the original FLW design. A later design, sold through Tiffany's, replicated the original.

Craig

Post by Craig »

I'm confused. I thought it was the other way around. This set by Noritake shows the coffee cup with the red circle overlapping the brim which was reportedly designed that way by Wright to hide women's lipstick marks. The colors are more muted and the design seems much more refined to me. Since Noritake did the original production wouldn't they have offered a more authentic reproduction?

The Tiffany produced set from the 1980s did not have that cup detail. The colors are nearly primary.

Does anyone have a photo of the original design from the 1920s?

Noritake: Image

Tiffany:Image
ch

SDR

Post by SDR »

From David Hanks, "Decorative Designs . . ." (1979):

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Perhaps Stan can help. A visitor to Hollyhock gave a small plate that her mother had from an original set. It should still be in the house.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Input from Hanks---and Pfeiffer---is interesting and useful, isn't it. Thinner porcelain, a motif that wrapped onto the inside of the cup distinguish the earlier production from the later.

S

Stephen Cowdery

Post by Stephen Cowdery »

Whichever it is, that's a pretty good price, all of the FLW dinnerware pieces are getting hard to get.
The Cabaret style is a really "fun" thing to have. I just have the 7.5" plates and use them all the time,
everybody loves them.

Time for a reissue?

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I noticed also that the Martin House plate re-issue, from a few years ago, has been sold out. It is unclear whether Buffalo Pottery, who made the original and the reissue, is out of business or not.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DavidC

Post by DavidC »