Documentary: "An American Home: Frank Lloyd Wright's B. Harley Bradley House"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Re: Documentary: "An American Home: Frank Lloyd Wright's B. Harley Bradley House"

Post by SDR »

You're doing fine. I'll look for your message, and will email you. In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving !

S

SDR

Re: Documentary: "An American Home: Frank Lloyd Wright's B. Harley Bradley House"

Post by SDR »

Duncan has graciously provided us with three pages from "Wrightscapes" (Charles and Berdeana Aguar; McGraw Hill, 2002):

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There is an interesting house at the NE corner of Hawthorne and Eagle, across from Hickox, that looks like someone with a knowledge of FLW may have designed. Detailing and fenestration look very early Prairie style.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Duncan: Thank you for sharing the interesting excerpt from the Aguar’s book. It might be a good idea for you to log in to Chat and edit your post to remove your email address.... this will reduce the potential for additional spam in your inbox.

Does anyone know the current condition of the Hickox house? I actually find it to be a superior composition than the larger Bradley house.

outside in

Post by outside in »

I"m a little disappointed by the description of the siting of the Hickox House. If one were to visit the site, it is very clear that the axis of the three connected rooms (dining, living room and study) were placed to align with the centerline of the street directly to the east. oops.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Not to defend the work of the Aguars, but I suppose it's possible for their (dubious ?) assertion of alignment of the Bradley and Hickox houses, and Eifler's observed fact, to coexist ?

Last edited by SDR on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The authors make much of the outdoor recreational features at Bradley and Hickox. Pfeiffer did not publish a site plan of either house; I have never seen an image showing the formal landscape feature south of the Bradley house. Was it in fact constructed ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

DRN, I agree that Hickox is superior. Unfortunately, that scrappy little porch is still on the south side of the house. I have never seen a single photo of the interior at any point in the house's existence.

SDR, I believe that formal garden was never constructed.

Tom

Post by Tom »

When I was was there the dining room lights were not.
Worth another trip back just to see them.

SDR

Post by SDR »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Having indulged myself with a moonlight romance inspired by the Toshidas et al, I will come back to Earth with some orthodox illustrations.

ImageImage
© 1993 by William Allin Storrer

First, the dining room laylights that I guess Tom was referring to:

Wright's wall sections contain notes referring, four times, to 'planks': 'Detail of typical plank frame'; '2" plank wedged up tight beneath rafter'; 'Plank header'; 'Plank wedged in tight.' Maybe the restoration architect can enlighten me ?

Bill Swan has taken good photos of the house; here are three:

I wonder if Mr Wright placed a ceiling light fixture in the living room . . .

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I cannot imagine that light fixture would have been chosen by FLW, nor that any fixture would have been used in that place. But it's there, so visitors will assume he was at fault. It's like the chandeliers in the living room and dining room, and the gravy boats in the gallery at Ennis: FLW had nothing to do with them, but it has to be pointed out, or visitors will make assumptions.

loo tee

Post by loo tee »

One of the people convicted in the 1987 murder of Stephen Small, the friendly enthusiast who owned the Bradley house and was then restoring it, is still petitioning to be released from the penitentiary, the Chicago Tribune now reports.
The riffraff conspirators kidnapped Mr. Small, buried him alive with a breathing tube, and asked for $1 million ransom. The tube collapsed, and the kidnapping turned into murder.