The campaign against degeneracy

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

So, like, if you say "like" often enough, is that, like, the same as getting "likes" on, like, facebook n' stuff ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Driehaus

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Just listened to the NPR thing I posted.
Apologies.
Don't waste your time: just a bunch of sound bites really.
Will listen before I do something like that again.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I used to listen to NPR regularly about 40+ years ago. It isn't what it used to be.

SDR

Post by SDR »

RG may be recalling the era when the broadcast content was classical music, not journalism . . .

Well, there's always the competition:

https://apnews.com/117be4fd845592a09fe8bd16f0e8112f

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

No, not the music. Classical music on any station is the same, isn't it?
The journalism was better, less biased, never frivolous.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Excellent radio journalism still exists. It’s called “Democracy Now!� With Amy Goodman.

https://www.democracynow.org/

Still too biased? There’s always Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient Rush Limbaugh.

SDR

Post by SDR »

https://www.pewresearch.org/topics/news-sources/

Public confidence in news sources is falling---drastically---while viewers are content to accept "news" they like from untested and even anonymous
providers online. Journalists find and report facts, but like scientists they are now widely seen as corrupted. Does that mean that they are, or just that
they have been inaccurately portrayed as such ?

Political leaders who encourage this trend do a serious disservice to their country.

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

I was, of course, being facetious.

I certainly didn’t want to create an equivalency between Amy Goodman and Rush Limbaugh, in fact, I was trying to illustrate the obvious differences in integrity and expertise.

Goodman continually provides us with real news, a glimpse into the struggles of oppressed people across the globe, without ever talking about herself, while Rush’s on air persona and opinionated, racist, vitriolic propaganda gives us some insight into the mindset of the fearful, uninformed white American, while providing little to no real information.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone accuse Amy Goodman of fabricating a story or lying.
Last edited by peterm on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I took no exception to your post. In fact, I linked to a Limbaugh piece up page.

I'd say we could do with Al Franken ("Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot") again, along with Molly Ivins---and Ann Richards for good measure ?

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

I was sure that you’d understand. I just felt I needed to clarify my previous sarcastic post, and hadn’t yet read your Limbaugh link. I guess it makes sense that we both would be thinking Limbaugh since he was recently bestowed with the same honor as Mother Theresa, Rosa Parks, MLK, etc.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. So entirely appropriate, don't you think---even quite moving ?

:roll:

Amy Goodman would give W F Buckley apoplexy, what ? More, more . . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I used to tune in to "Democracy Now," but the program has moved to a much earlier time of day. I never turn on my television until dark. There is something depressing about watching the tube during daylight hours. TV is like a vampire: It does its best work at night.

It is interesting that, while PBS congratulates itself on the quality of its news programs, and most of them (other than Paris 24, which is dreadful) are excellent, it was PBS stations that carried "RT News," formerly known as "Russia Today." I guess they figured out it was just propaganda; I have not seen it on the schedule for a long time.

Never having listened to the prattling of any of the talk radio group, Limbaugh, Imus, et alia, I cannot comment on their content, but I believe comparing TV newscaster Amy Goodman to radio commentator Rush Limbaugh is a tad off the mark.

As for the Internet, that, more than DC, is the swamp. It is alarming how terrible many of the "news" stories are. Even the old guard of newspapers - NYT, WSJ, Time Magazine - seem not to maintain their high quality.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, you are wrong about Buckley. He thrived on talking to people with whom he disagreed, though perhaps not Gore Vidal. I doubt Buckley would have given Goodman any grief, since she is a broadcaster of news, and not an op-ed writer.

SDR

Post by SDR »

That's encouraging. Marshall McLuhan spoke of "the medium [being] the message" (in the days when the word "media" had not yet been co-opted and
repurposed), which resonates in discussions like ours. There is a difference, in fact, between where and how we hear some news, and what the content of
that news is. We might trust or at least respect a source---until we begin to hear things we aren't in agreement with; we might be surprised by an "alien"
source bringing us welcome content.

William Buckley might have given Amy Goodman a pass, until she interviewed Noam Chomsky or Ralph Nader ? Or am I using today's disturbing standard---
shoot the messenger at the first sign of dissent---to describe another era ?

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

Roderick- Its only relatively recently that Democracy Now has been televised. Starting in 1996, it was only broadcast on Pacifica radio, but is now on both radio and tv.