The campaign against degeneracy

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Post by peterm »

Mr. Wright- I notice this is your very first post (joined Wright Chat Feb. 7, 2020) :-) No public thoughts about Wright, or classicism mandates, only scolding in order to keep us in line?
Last edited by peterm on Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrWright

Post by MrWright »

I normally just like to visit and read and learn.

I felt compelled to finally post after seeing this "discussion" going nowhere but off the rails.

We get it. The state of the world and politics sucks. We are all angry and frustrated.

All the more reason to preserve spaces online where that type of divisive and unhelpful behavior is absent.

Can we get back to constructive topics now?

peterm

Post by peterm »

You’re always welcome to contribute something constructive.
I’ve been contributing since 2008, and some of the “select contributors� whom you refer to have been here far longer.

MrWright

Post by MrWright »

There's plenty already in other threads to talk about.

I'll contribute when I'm ready, thank you. As noted previously, I come to read and learn.

Yes, you have been contributing awhile. And often it's interesting.

But you also like to instigate and stir the pot needlessly, I've noticed.

So, you can also feel free to contribute something constructive.

peterm

Post by peterm »

“Stirring the pot� when the sauce is lumpy or burning on can be extremely constructive.

Your very subjective criticism is noted.

Rood

Post by Rood »

OK ... A few trenchant remarks made by Frank Lloyd Wright about a proposal for one government project ... plus a quick sketch of a Chapel for the complex. See:

http://75bestalive.org/history_pages/hi ... right.html

NB: Note also the brief article in the Colorado Springs Newspaper about his (and President Truman's) idea of moving the capitol from Washington, DC to Colorado Springs.
Mr. Wright was quoted in the article as saying that the present capitol should be kept as a "sentimental and historical monument", which should put an end to the idea that this thread is not about Frank Lloyd Wright's ideas.
Last edited by Rood on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I lived in Colorado Springs from the age of 11 to 14. It is an exquisitely beautiful place, especially before the old Antlers Hotel was razed. The Garden of the Gods and the Broadmoor made a huge impression on me.

Wright’s criticism of the Academy is understandable, but just imagine his outrage if it had been required to build an Albert Speer like temple!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_the_Gods
Last edited by peterm on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

As Rood's pertinent post remind's us, the real Mr. Wright sought to design architecture that would “express America�. Surely, trump's attempt to direct federal building design to neoclassical is contrary to Wrightian principles.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The policy of this forum is that political, religious, etc discussion is not welcome. We have seen previous such talk tolerated for several weeks
before our administrators stepped in. This delay serves (for me) as evidence of the unusual nature of the present national situation. The impression
gained during that period, of a consensus on this forum, was that a clear majority of our contributing members held a critical view of the current
national administration. It is my opinion that it is past time that concerned Americans---in all corners of our society---be encouraged to share their
views and prepare themselves for what is ahead. Sharing of feelings and information is essential to that preparation, as I see it.

That said, of course it is the case that those who are made uncomfortable by political discourse in their presence have the right to complain---never mind
that no one is forcing them to read any thread on any chat site. The fact that they express discomfort when such talk appears is itself indicative of---
something.

There I rest. Let the chips fall where they may . . .

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jay

Post by jay »

So let me get this straight... You don't participate here, but demand that the people you "learn" from adhere to your personal reading preferences?

pharding

Post by pharding »

Sequoia wrote:Cooler heads will prevail. Please fellow chatters don’t get overly emotional yet. The speed that the government moves at, as well as, the time it takes to get a project done, this edict will have little effect.
Once the Federal Government commissions an architect and spends millions on architecture and engineering fees there is no going back after 16 months maximum. The neoclassical styled Federal Government Building, favored by authoritarian dictators throughout history, will get built. There will be no stomach on the part of politicians even when a new administration takes office to walk away from millions of dollars expended for the architecture and engineering fees. Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Benito Mussolini all loved Classicism as symbols of their power.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

MrWright

Post by MrWright »

jay wrote:

So let me get this straight... You don't participate here, but demand that the people you "learn" from adhere to your personal reading preferences?
I'm not "demanding" anything. I'm asking that the non-constructive political diatribes and veiled personal attacks against others that don't agree with your personal political persuasion be left to other websites where that is the "norm" and we get back to what this chat site is supposed to be about: Frank Lloyd Wright. That's what the site is explicitly about and that's what the focus should be. All this other stuff is a distraction and just serves to inflame tempers and turn people off.

We've been down this rocky road several times before in past runaway threads and the consensus from those of us outside the direct fray back then was the same as what I'm currently asking for:

Enough with the ideologically-driven contemporary political sniping/griping/complaining/grandstanding and let's civilly discuss and focus on Wright.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I was (first and) last in DC sixty years ago. I came away sweating (it was June) and thinking about what I'd seen: a metropolis smothered in neoclassical dress: so many columns, so much light-colored stone---enough to last a reactionary several lifetimes ?

I wonder what "Mr Wright" thinks about that. We know what the other Mr Wright thought of it . . .

S
Last edited by SDR on Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

MrWright, I agree with you, there are those on this site that are prickly about the current political situation, which hasn't gone their way, and it is tiresome.

SDR, don't be so smug that "a clear majority of our contributing members [hold] a critical view of the current national administration"; there are those who simply remain silent, and their predilections cannot be assumed. "Anti-intellectualism" is a biased value judgment, like "opinionated." Neither stands solidly on its own, but are weapons used to end constructive dialogue.

outside in, I agree with you, the skyline of London is a nightmare. Somehow a city cluttered with Deco high-rises works comfortably, like certain old neighborhoods of New York. There is a "family resemblance." But the commercial architecture of today takes nothing into consideration but its own appearance to the detriment of the history of a once great city.

As to "the sky is falling" take on this current turn of events, nothing has changed. It isn't the style of public buildings, from Khufu and Karnak, through the Parthenon, Pantheon, Gothic cathedrals, St. Peter, Versailles, Albert Speer, and even FLW's Arizona State Capitol Project, it is the overwhelming size that inspires, not awe, but fear. Power centers, which have all descended from religious edifices to secular governments, have been designed to keep hoi polloi in check. Mussolini simply imprinted his own take on things.

Personally, I believe the towering corporate behemoths looming over large cities worldwide are the true danger of the modern age, whether they are pretty or ugly.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yeah---and the anti-abortionists fantasize that they're in the majority. I guess "smug" is another loaded label . . .?

When we finally eat the rich---following some as-yet-unimagined reversal of fortune, perhaps the miracle of unlimited free energy equally accessed by all---all that office space will make for adequate housing for the masses, at last ?

RG is correct when he points to the unfriendliness of today's mirrored tower; each structure is designed to its own system and module and cladding, so that not one speaks to its neighbor. As he suggests, there is a difference between the effect of discordant masonry facades and glassy ones . . .

S