Booth Cottage?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Zac, see David C's comment above mine.

ZacharyMatthews

Post by ZacharyMatthews »

Roderick Grant wrote:Zac, see David C's comment above mine.
Caught it, Thanks Rod!

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Paul Ringstrom

BOOTH COTTAGE UPDATE

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I don't understand the one criticism that not enough time had passed to discuss the issue to death. This house has been endangered for 11 months. How much more time did they need? Yet it sounds, for now, that the outcome will be good.

I don't know anything about architect Scott Javore, but I do know of an eminently qualified architect just up Meadow Road who would be ideal for the job.

outside in

Post by outside in »

I attended the hearing and was mystified by the neighbors' objections - the typical "traffic and parking" concerns (for an 1100 s.f. building) to "building in a flood zone" (some standing water in the spring). Pretty silly stuff. The pressure from the developers forced the Park Board to vote - now or never - and they did the right thing. Scott Javore is a third generation Glencoe architect and is donating his services to see this through. The person that has done the most work, Peter van Vechten (also lives in a Wright house) has remained in the background. Its really through his efforts that this is happening. My hero.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Should we consider the Booth Cottage (1911, T1119) as a precursor of the Usonian-style houses from the '30s?

outside in

Post by outside in »

I think calling it "early usonian" or precursor, is a bit of a stretch. Its a cottage with outside sleeping porches, built on a budget. The flat roof shares some similarities with the Laura Gale house so I believe its really simply a product of its time. Subsequent owners can be credited with transforming a summer cottage into a house. However, if the case for restoration and moving is made by calling it an early usonian, and it works, that's great!

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

FTA: "Gordon has called the cottage a precursor of the so-called Usonian houses that Wright designed in the 1930s. Aimed at middle-class buyers, the Usonian homes influenced the ranch houses that spread in post-World War II suburbia."

Congratulations to the Glencoe Historic Preservation group and all the others involved in this endeavor. When the house was sold, I did not foresee that this would turn out positive.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I have to agree with outside: Aside from being flat-roofed and wood-clad, Booth Cottage isn't really much of a forerunner for Usonia. The complete lack of similarity in the plan gives interiors a different sense. In addition to the Laura Gale House, FLW tried to sell flat roofs to several clients, like Brown and Esbenshade. He also used board and batten on early houses.

Booth should be celebrated in its own right, which is a 'quickie' for a very important client.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

It is true that, on the document below, Mr Wright did not indicate a drain to the spherical container. He appears to have been more interested (?) in perching the object on four discrete cubical feet.

© 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I wonder if anyone along the way brought this lack to his attention, and if so how would FLW have responded.

outside in

Post by outside in »

even though the drawing didn't show it, there was a drain. The planters were recently restored and a somewhat larger drain installed. The writer of the article is mistaken.