Hollyhock end tables

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Stan, if there is evidence on the backs (attached to the couches) showing that some portion was shaved off, that would make the tables' authenticity more likely. It may have been necessary to turn the two into a single entity, or may have been done when the new long table was halved. If there is no evidence of shortening, that would strongly indicate they are not legitimate. The table tops were square, of that you can be sure. I have drawings stashed away, so I am not certain, but they were either 30" or 32" square.

One other check: There is an incised line around the top where the grain follows the edge of the table top. The original band was about 1/4" to 1/2" wider than what I could ascertain. If they are the same, that would be proof that there is something wrong.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I continue to wonder about a patch of wood that is visible in one of Bill's photos, at the far right end of the top band. What is it doing there ? Such errors are rare in professional joinery, but they do happen.

Any maker can mistakenly cut a vital piece of material---sometimes the last one of that specie in the shop---too short, necessitating a repair. Is that what happened here ? Or is there another explanation ?

It seems that it is within Roderick's power to answer the question of authenticity---having measured the originals at one point, and having made the drawings, still in his possession, that allowed for the production
of the replacement tables ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The drawings I made were done in the 80s. The reproduction in the 90s. I measured the originals in 2004.

That bit of wood is a puzzlement, indeed. It is just the sort of anomaly that proves an expert should be brought into the thing.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thank you for those dates. During what period were the tables united into a single object ? When were they taken apart ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

From 1927 on, dates referring to anything going on at Hollyhock are hard to nail down. A photograph exists of the conjoined tables in Aline's room, but when that photo was taken is not certain. When the table was made is likewise unknown, nor when or how it left the house. The whole shebang was taken out of the living room shortly after the city took possession, but exactly when is uncertain, nor is it known for sure what was done with it. Legend has it that the ensemble was taken apart and reused for sets at the Greek Theater, but no proof of that has ever been found. There seems to have been a free-for-all at the house from 1927 to 1946. After Lloyd's work on it in '46, it eventually fell into another era of neglect. The first time I saw the house in 1966 it was fenced in and boarded up. Things improved in the 70s. During Ginny Kazor's years as curator, quantum leaps were made in its restoration. CEP, here on WC, played a large part in the process.