North by northwest house

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Daniel Dominique Watts

Glad to help...hope everyone can benefit from the postings

Post by Daniel Dominique Watts »

I have overlaid the original drawings done by the Architect from the "stageset" plans drawn vs. the autocad drawings done for the book I referenced that showed the plans. The Autocad plans do not EXACTLY match them. The "angle of the balcony" is off a few degrees and also if you will take notice the kitchen layout is complete "surmiss" on their part as is the room next to the outdoor entrance near the staircase landing.

The stageset plans should be adhered to in ALL cases. The fireplace "bench" at bottom of the stair is also a bit different in the Autocad drawing vs. the "original" stageset drawing.

I would advise contacting the SOURCE directly to get a COPY of the plans for the stageset layout at whatever size they can reproduce them for you. That will give you a much better copy to work from. I have also captured shots from the film with my camera for about every type of shot taken during the film of the home.

The front door is a nice simple "Wrightian" design which is very similar to actual doors that are large at the entry gate to the property on the film. These designs are in fact extremely similar to actual large doors at Taliesin in Spring Green Wisconsin which is Wright's home, office, and school. The large doors are in the section to the west of the home in the courtyard which had originally been used for farm animals and to park cars under an upper level. They are still there for seeing.

Also to note, the outdoor "council ring" which is seen in the film as you go up the driveway ---which is only a painted canvas, is very similar to tghe "council ring" which is at Taliesin, Spring Green , Wisconsin which originally had a very large Oak Tree at its center and in the garden area outside Wright's bedroom and office and library room. It's in the flower courtyard still and has steps going down from it to the lower level of courtyard by a fountain. This council ring can be seen in many photographs of Taliesin. It is attached to the home in the film as a type of courtyard for lounging, eating and possibly grilling on a barbeque grill, which would make sense.

Enjoy. I have tried to work out the upper floorplans for the bedrooms from the plan given on Autocad in the source book I referenced. This upper bedroom plan again except for the bedroom shown in the film is all surmised from the painted backdrop shown as VanDamn is trying to escape down the driveway to the plane with the microfilm in hand. Notice the balconies. These are true about the painted backdrop from the driveway view as well. It appears as though a corridor HAS to be at the "runway strip" side of the home just inside the outdoor balconies. That allows 2 additional bedrooms or possibly 3. The "MASTER" bedroom appears to be at the end of the wing where the "STONE FIREPLACE PIER" is painted on the driveway side painted canvas. That would make sense for a floorplan also, as you would have the culmination of the master bedroom ending into the stone hillside as an interior wall and the stone fireplace inside the master bedroom facing the "airplane landing strip" side of the room.

I would LOVE to see what the master bedroom looks like but assume it is VERY similar to the built-in bedroom closet system and fireplace combination Wright proposed and was built for the Carroll ALSOP home in Oskaloosa, Iowa which culminates at the end of bedroom wing in similar manner.

http://docublogger.typepad.com/midcentu ... -iowa.html

http://www.mediaarchitecture.at/archite ... a_en.shtml

you can get a copy of the floorplan for ALSOP home via Wm. Allin STORRER's books.

Rood

Post by Rood »

The Phoenix Art Museum will be showing North By Northwest this coming Saturday, 14 September 2013. I was told seats are free, but it is expected to be a standing-room only crowd, so you have to get there early ... I believe show-time is about 1 PM

DRN

Post by DRN »

Bringing this thread forward post outage.
Keywords: Alfred Hitchcock ; North by Northwest ; Vandamm ; Van Damm

Daniel Dominique Watts

your home in Cherry Hill

My wife & I stopped by your home begibning of August. I parked my car to edge of your properrty & walked up to edge to take photos & thru hedges. I could see your screen door and main door open to allow air circulation & could hear TV inside. We were there just before noontime. I didnt want to be a peat for your family so i didnt bother to knock on door. I saw your postings of photos online of the restoration work you have done. Job well done. Your attention to authenticity, preservation & meticulous detail i could see in photos.

Glad to see you did preservation & restorative work vs. Renovations. Bravo. I h sometime we will be able to come back and visit first hand.

Daniel Dominique Watts

Carrol Alsop house, Oskaloosa, IA 1948

From my previous post mention of possible look/feel of VanDamm Master Bedroom at culmination of 2nd floor wing that has drive under access for entry door & as open 2 ended carport... The Carroll Alsop bedroom I think would be something like what would be expected for the Master bedroom. It allows the fireplace to the driveway side of house exactly like at Alsop home & closet cabinet system against north wall as per movie set home, and a view to east on balcony like movieset facing towards runway like painted as stageset backdrop for film.

Here is link to Alsop plan: http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... 6ee7c0d946

Daniel Dominique Watts

VanDamm house plan, North by Northwest house plan, Hitchcock

Bringing this thread forward.
Keywords: Alfred Hitchcock ; North by Northwest ; Vandamm ; Van Damm