Canberra

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Canberra

Post by Tom »

Architecture of Canberra Australia very strongly featured in Netflix new series:
"Secret City".
"taste is less important than non-conformity"
FLLW

peterm

Post by peterm »

I’m thinking about architect Laurie Virr, his houses, and other Australian architectural masterworks. Is Laurie ok? Any word?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I have made inquiry. No idea if the address I have is correct . . .

S

Laurie Virr

Post by Laurie Virr »

peterm wrote:I’m thinking about architect Laurie Virr, his houses, and other Australian architectural masterworks. Is Laurie ok? Any word?
Hello Peter:

I hope you are well.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding my wellbeing in relation to the fires engulfing Australia at this time.

To date Canberra has been spared the inferno, but the resulting fires on the East Coast of New South Wales and Queensland have resulted in thick, toxic smoke being blown into this area, where it is predicted it will linger for months, or even longer. This city is in a bowl, at altitude by Australian standards, and completely surrounded by hills. When the maximum safe level of smoke inhalation is considered to be 200, this area has had a recent reading of 5000 [Five Thousand]. It is imperative to stay indoors as much as possible.

Years of neglect of infrastructure, the promotion of coal and oil as major energy sources, discouragement of the use of solar and wind power, together with absolute denial of climate change by this extreme right wing government has resulted in the current situation.

In April 2019, 23 former bushfire fighting leaders, some with more than 40 years experience, predicted that this season would be catastrophic. In that month, and again in July, they requested a meeting with the Australian Prime Minister to discuss the situation and mitigating strategy. So in thrall to the coal corporations is the Federal Government, that he refused to meet them.

Just one of the buildings I have designed, a beach house, has been razed by the fires.

At this time I have no architectural commissions.

My Best Wishes to you.

Laurie

Tom

Post by Tom »

FLLW

peterm

Post by peterm »

These powerful climate change deniers should be tried for crimes against humanity.

Take care, Laurie. I’m so sorry to hear that one of your designs is lost. And please don’t be a stranger. We miss your keen insight!

Describing his own house, “Rivendell�:

“The aim was to design a house in which the siting, exploitation of space, the massing, the concern for the environment, and the details, expressed in unequivocal terms what I considered to be Architecture.�
- Laurie Virr

http://www.canberrahouse.com.au/houses/rivendell.html

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's been quite a while since we took a look at Rivendell. Here are some views.

Image . . . . Image

Image . . . . Image

Laurie's chairs are the work of Walter Burley Griffin . . .

Tom

Post by Tom »

Hemicycle meets Hannah.
I like that second level perch.
FLLW