Book: 'Atlas of Mid-Century Modern Houses'

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Book: 'Atlas of Mid-Century Modern Houses'

Post by DavidC »

DRN

Post by DRN »

The article’s opening photo is of a 1980’s addition to the site of the house by Mies. The addition is arguably better (spatially/formally interesting) than Mies’ original house.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Maison Gauthier by Jean Prouve is a handsome enough house, but unless I have missed something, it doesn't look much like Prouve's work.

peterm

Post by peterm »

DRN wrote:The article’s opening photo is of a 1980’s addition to the site of the house by Mies. The addition is arguably better (spatially/formally interesting) than Mies’ original house.
“I don’t want to be interesting. I want to be good.� -Mies

By the time the Greenwald house was built, Mies’ intentions had shifted away from the spatial complexity of the early de Stijl influenced Barcelona Pavilion days.

I’m afraid Mies would have been terribly “unglucklich� with the Gluck addition.

https://www.pidgeondigital.com/talks/i- ... good/play/

peterm

Post by peterm »

Maison Gauthier 1962 (larger budget than his own house):

http://www.manuelbougot.com/works/archi ... n-gauthier

Le Maison de Jean Prouve’ 1953:

https://youtu.be/FwF5RkiFBUQ

SDR

Post by SDR »

I know the Greenwald house only from its appearance in "Moderism [apologies to RG] Reborn" (Michael Webb, Universe Publishing, 2001).

Regretfully, perhaps, the house is here named only for its new owner. The original house is at right. The view is from the same aspect as the one in the online article, but with the sliding glass of the central pavilion closed.

Image Mies's living room

photography © Roger Strauss III

peterm

Post by peterm »

I find it so odd to see Le Corbusier furniture in a Mies space. It’s an intentional negation of an aesthetic. It’s much the same as seeing Mies furniture in a Wright space.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes---but wouldn't you say that, of the three, Wright is the outlier ? That is, Mies and Corbu both employ (black) leather and chromed steel in the pieces we're thinking of, while nothing of the kind has ever belonged in a Wright space of any period . . . ?

At least we have Gluck using early Mies chairs in his new dining room . . .

Tell me about the new master bath: what is made of that stair-step of obscure glass, inside ? I like the rest of that construction---the glazing going around a corner, and right to the floor.

S