Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Video: Hollyhock and ADA accessibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Video: Hollyhock and ADA accessibility Reply with quote

AVA Inclusivity Case Study: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Hollyhock House - [2:42]

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ 0:54 is a glimpse of the garden court with new landscaping. According to Google Maps, the whole design has not been implemented according to the original plan, with the north third a densely planted riparian garden, but hopefully that will eventually be executed, even the walk from the outdoor stair to the crosswalk, which was not built. A complete plan is in the archive, resurrected by the late Dennis Hickok, who worked with Richard Meier on the landscaping of the Getty Center. It is an essential element in order to understand the garden court, pergola and colonnade.

Stan, how did the reconstruction of the living room chair go? I thought it was to be done by the October conference.
Reidy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tour itself is at https://hollyhockhousevirtual.org/tour?start=entrance#.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reconstruction of an upholstered chair---a unique example of the type, whose dimensions and details remained to be settled on---wouldn't be accomplished over period of a few months---I expect . . .?

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I said months ago, but that was the plan.
From the day I started on the living room furniture until it was installed was close to 20 years. One chair obviously would be easier, but still not as quick an effort as was thought. Funding alone will take a long time.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A worthwhile effort, in any event.

On another matter relating to the same room, I was recently shown close-up photos of carving on a table, one of a pair that were replicated after the
originals were lost---or sold. We looked at these tables not long ago, after the reputed originals were purchased and donated to the house, I believe.

What I am unclear on is whether the photos I saw were of these originals, or of their replacements. In any event, the carving was astoundingly crisp
and fine---not at all like photos we saw of another pair of tables. I cannot now find the thread that contained those photos.

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The astoundingly crisp and fine details are from the reproductions done by Ipekjian. The rough version is from the originals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: