Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Kalil House, Manchester NH for sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conflagration is not calamitous as long as you are not fast asleep in a dead-end room when it happens.

They say wisdom comes with age, but not inevitably. I find intellectual sclerosis to be more common among the elderly.
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The conflagration is not calamitous as long as you are not fast asleep in a dead-end room when it happens.

It should be noted that the subject house does not have windows large enough for an occupant to climb through in the event the bedroom corridor is rendered impassable due to a "conflagration". The only openings large enough are the main entrance door and the French door pair in the dining area.

Short of cutting holes in blocks, I might suggest 10lb fire extinguishers in the bedroom closets and a nozzled hose connected to a hose bib in the bath vanity....smoke detectors and CO detectors go without saying. I once worked on a house that had a sprinkler head connected to the house's domestic water system in a garage that was beneath two bedrooms...the house was otherwise unsprinklered. In theory, a sprinkler head could be connected to the hall bath plumbing and mounted horizontally on the bathroom's hallway wall to wet down the passage.
jay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyi, I noticed the Kalil house is now listed as a "Pending" sale.
Oak Park Jogger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures show a house that has been tended to in the last few years--maybe to prep it for sale. When I toured the house about 12 years ago it looked tired. Besides a lot of clutter which is now gone, every surface looked like it needed a good scrubbing, and the beautiful wood all needed to be refinished at any point it touched the floors. The neighborhood is lovely, and the lot is huge. It's an unusual house, and I hope it sells to someone who can love it.
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous donor helps Currier acquire $850K ‘forgotten’ Frank Lloyd Wright house

Currier Museum Frank Lloyd Wright Home - [2:57]

David
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such good news ! And, several more photos of the house that I have not seen before, including a striking shot in the kitchen that seems an explosion of "transparent" concrete blocks.

The ribbon-stripe mahogany kitchen cabinetry is due for a serious cleaning and/or refinishing. It is a pleasure to see that warm wood, carefully selected, as a foil to the cool concrete.

S
victoriad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got the news today. It seems the Currier is evolving under new leadership! (Museum director Alan Chong is seen in the video, along with Kurt Sundstrom, curator.)

I am astounded--and excited for our visitors, who have only been able to view Kalil from the van as we ride back to the Currier. Try as I might, I have never managed to convince any of them (as far as I know) that the house is incredibly warm and bright within, thanks to extensive use of Philippine mahogany and glass. But now they can see for themselves.

We are very grateful to the anonymous donor who made this acquisition possible, adding a fascinating new dimension to the Wright experience in Manchester.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victoria, it's great news, isn't it: a delightful and inspiring contrast, demonstrating in no uncertain terms Wright's mastery of two "musical forms" as it were; no one-note wonder he . . .

And now your visitors can be shown the error of their beliefs, that concrete cannot a bright and comfortable home contrive !

S
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous news. Time to schedule a trip back to NH.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is most likely the best result. As a piece of real estate, it would appeal to a very small segment of the market, while as a priceless asset to the Currier, it will be a gift to all who visit.

From the video, it appears that all it really needs is a good scrubbing. The block-work appears to be in excellent condition.

There is an interesting detail at 2:28 where the perforated wall of the kitchen intersects the ceiling over the dining area. This could have been a problematic juncture for anyone other than FLW.

Kudos to Currier! Now I have to plan to take the Grand Tour from Kalil to Taliesin!
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible.
Can hardly wait to go back.
DIA Beacon is on the way too.
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Frank Lloyd Wright House Will Be Preserved Forever Thanks to an Anonymous Donor

David
jay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MLS shows that Kalil sold for $970k, which is well over the asking price. The anonymous donor makes this a unique sale, so I suppose there's no data points to be taken here (for my very lazy and unscientific pursuit of finding a Wright premium for his real estate prices).

Exciting news, though! Any guesses of who the donor is? I mean, it's Brad Pitt right?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Ron Burkle, having bought the Bob Hope House, has unloaded Ennis, perhaps he's looking for a comfy New England getaway. Pocket change for him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: