Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

eBay: Darwin Martin House gutter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: eBay: Darwin Martin House gutter Reply with quote

Frank Lloyd Wright, Darwin Martin House Original Gutter, Trough Bowl

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the provenance ...?
outside in

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited the house when they were just getting started and found that the Barton House (then owned by an architect) had somehow managed to retain its original gutters and quickly pointed it out to Ted Lownie. I only knew because I had been working on the Willits House and Wright had been asked to add gutters by Ward Willits - same design. I'm inclined to believe that this is the real McCoy - for one of the buildings at the Martin Site.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find these gutters enchanting, for the way they stand far enough below the eaves to permit daylight to "separate" them from the building---
visible in some photos, and not in others . . .

Could it be that a restoration relocated them slightly, enough to produce an offset that wasn't present originally ?

I haven't noticed this effect in any other Prairie-period house.

Ausgeführte Bauten und Entwürfe . . .
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note how the exterior bottom comes to the point
while the interior bottom is flat.
Thus the gutter has a hollow section.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in the archive is a detail drawing, with section and (more or less irrelevant) elevation . . .?

What I'd like to see is absent from the present objects: the original hangers. Their shape and dimensions would place the gutter in one position or another.
Latterday photos of Barton (at least) show prominent copper straps on top of the roofing (tiles, still ?)---implying that they wanted to be attached to the sheathing a foot,
maybe, from the fascia ?

Finally, the elevations published in a Monograph show a simple canted and plain fascia, without gutters or downspouts---and, more unusually, no built-in rain receiver . . .

S
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These elevations present another recurring aspect of Wrightian design: while the building depicted is rich with exterior spatial play, and no apparent
lack of the expected deep eaves, the man must have been amused if not amazed to find that his elevations show a building profile nearly devoid of
projecting roof-scape . . .

Equally interesting is the revelation found in this detail of the second drawing. For one thing, it appears at first glance
that while the sash are of admirably consistent height, there may be no two of exactly the same width. More generally,
the extreme rigor and control of the horizontals is delightfully contrasted to the lively asymmetry of composition.

After those idealized orthogonal views, the messy reality of an aging structure, in full color, is something of a shock. Mr
Wright never drew a visible downspout in his life as far as I know, much less the mangled superfluity of copper we see
in Futagawa's (distorted) pre-1985 photo . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: