eBay: Darwin Martin House gutter

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

eBay: Darwin Martin House gutter

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

And the provenance ...?

outside in

Post by outside in »

I visited the house when they were just getting started and found that the Barton House (then owned by an architect) had somehow managed to retain its original gutters and quickly pointed it out to Ted Lownie. I only knew because I had been working on the Willits House and Wright had been asked to add gutters by Ward Willits - same design. I'm inclined to believe that this is the real McCoy - for one of the buildings at the Martin Site.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I find these gutters enchanting, for the way they stand far enough below the eaves to permit daylight to "separate" them from the building---
visible in some photos, and not in others . . .

Could it be that a restoration relocated them slightly, enough to produce an offset that wasn't present originally ?

I haven't noticed this effect in any other Prairie-period house.

Image Ausgeführte Bauten und Entwürfe . . .

Tom

Post by Tom »

Note how the exterior bottom comes to the point
while the interior bottom is flat.
Thus the gutter has a hollow section.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Somewhere in the archive is a detail drawing, with section and (more or less irrelevant) elevation . . .?

What I'd like to see is absent from the present objects: the original hangers. Their shape and dimensions would place the gutter in one position or another.
Latterday photos of Barton (at least) show prominent copper straps on top of the roofing (tiles, still ?)---implying that they wanted to be attached to the sheathing a foot,
maybe, from the fascia ?

Finally, the elevations published in a Monograph show a simple canted and plain fascia, without gutters or downspouts---and, more unusually, no built-in rain receiver . . .

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

These elevations present another recurring aspect of Wrightian design: while the building depicted is rich with exterior spatial play, and no apparent
lack of the expected deep eaves, the man must have been amused if not amazed to find that his elevations show a building profile nearly devoid of
projecting roof-scape . . .

Equally interesting is the revelation found in this detail of the second drawing. For one thing, it appears at first glance
that while the sash are of admirably consistent height, there may be no two of exactly the same width. More generally,
the extreme rigor and control of the horizontals is delightfully contrasted to the lively asymmetry of composition.

After those idealized orthogonal views, the messy reality of an aging structure, in full color, is something of a shock. Mr
Wright never drew a visible downspout in his life as far as I know, much less the mangled superfluity of copper we see
in Futagawa's (distorted) pre-1985 photo . . .