For sale: John Lautner's Wolff House - Hollywood Hills, CA

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Reidy, I don't recall this house in "Twilight." There was a scene in another Lautner house, one of the pair for Polin and Jacobsen (I believe the latter) in "John Lautner, Architect" ... or, "Have T-Square, Will Travel," 1949, pp 56-59. I believe it was James Garner's character's residence.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Garner and Newman appear in "Twilight," it seems. In the trailer we see only the Cedric Gibbons residence ? There's a Gae Aulenti table lamp at 2:08 . . .

S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Maybe it wasn't this one. It was the Garner character's in any case, and it may be briefly visible in the trailer when Garner is on screen.

I hope the scene where Sarandon flips out and trashes Gibbon was a mockup.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Will have to take RG's word about the stair.
Very hard to understand that tho - from the posted plans.
Looks like stair between LR and Kitchen goes down to landing in far north corner of MasterBedroom.
Once down, one turns left to bedroom or right to outside stair to plunge pool.

Tom

Post by Tom »

can't figure out how to delete this mistaken post
Apologies
Last edited by Tom on Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Roderick Grant wrote:What I wonder about is how Wolff and Lautner got away with that staircase!
RG, you are talking about the curved staircase right? Is that in the guest wing?
It's not in the original house is it? Guest wing has it's own kitchen then?

Tom

Post by Tom »

Really bad writing but new pictures:

https://en.wikiarquitectura.com/building/wolff-house/

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Tom, you are right. The stair behind the fireplace goes to both the entrance and the guest wing. The stair across from the fireplace goes to the master bedroom on the lower level. The guest wing (which plan has never been published) is 2 stories, and must be the location of the curved staircase.

As I said, Lautner's drawings leave much to be desired, such as clarity.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Okay good.
Defeinitely agree about Lautners plans - very muddy.
This was an unknown house to me before this post.
It's complexity seems to arise from carefull concepts
not mere "willfulness"
Great house.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for the last link, Tom. A couple of the photos show the corbeled railroad-tie wall that's shown on the drawings. Another shows that the pool was visible from the street above---likely blocked now by the addition ?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

. . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Image
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Tom

Post by Tom »

The only question of critique that comes up for me concerns the planes of plaster.
Assuming Lautner had free hand and a blank check here I wonder why he chose plaster instead of a wood finish?
For example say: the main ceiling.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Plaster isn't the cheapest surface---especially the sand plaster that Wright et al preferred. Sheetrock probably is, but that isn't the point: sometimes a
designer wants a neutral (and light-colored) plane as a foil for darker and/or richer surfaces. There's a big difference in the quality and quantity of light
in a white-surfaced space, compared to a wood-paneled one---for instance.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wouldn't you love to see some construction photos ?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

.... would have liked to have been able to ask Mr. Lautner his thinking behind those choices.

YES! would love to see some construction shots. Got to be some somewhere.
Is there such thing as a Launtner archive I wonder?