surprising statement in an FLW recording

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JChoate

surprising statement in an FLW recording

Post by JChoate »

I listened with interest to part of a recording of an interview with FLW, made in 1956. (Recorded by Ben Raeburn, for whom FLW had designed a house in 1937).

There were a few notable moments:

At the 15:35 mark -- Wright tells a story about resting on a bench at Taliesin right after "a tragedy" when "droves" of people came looking around the site, and, unseen, he overheard two women talking as they walked thru. Maybe this was the 1914 fire & murders (?). Imagine him laying on a bench in the shadows, listening to comments while looky-loos snooped around.

At the 17:13 mark -- he uses the phrase "advanced houses" to describe & define his work.

Most surprising, at the 17:53 mark -- he stated that he "didn't want to do houses anymore", going on to explain that he was "building more important things now" and that "to do houses is a terrible drain" (19:05), but that fans of his residential work kept persuading him to continue designing houses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD42qMEW5aE

SDR

Post by SDR »

I believe there's a brief scene in the Autobiography, where Wright describes resting in the living room at Taliesin, with the Dutch door (?) open, and hearing two women commenting on the house. I don't recall the amusing thing(s) that were said ...

And, Besinger reports being in Mr Wright's bedroom one morning, attending to something out of sight of Mr Wright, and hearing him commenting to himself on his appearance (?) while looking in the mirror.

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Wonderful architecture.

It appears from the photos that Green is using an interesting type of column that I'm trying to track the history of. This is a column of wood with a hefty center mass and thinner side elements that give an almost I-beam look. When the column joins the roof beam, the side elements continue to rise up and "embrace" the beam.

Anyone know anything about this structural system?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Matt must be referring to this thread: http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=12249

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Sorry, posted to the wrong thread somehow.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I've done that. Repost, and we can continue with your question ?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Speaking of overheard conversations at Taliesin / T-West: Mark Heyman, who joined the Fellowship in November 1954 and left June 11, 1959, was working in the tiny kitchen in the Wrights' wing of T-West when Frank came storming out of the bedroom wing followed by Olga. FLW yelled, "Taliesin will never become a Gurdjieff foundation as long as I am alive!", as Olga trailed behind, whining, "But, Frhank...!"