Madison trip

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Madison trip

Post by peterm »

Irmi and I had the idea at the last minute of taking a drive to the Madison area this weekend. We would see the Unitarian meeting house and Monona Terrace. We've been to the Spring Green area but have yet to spend any time in Madison.

I was also wondering if any of you would have contact info for the owners/caretakers of Wright houses in the area (Lamp, Gilmore, Pew, Jacobs 1 and 2, Rudin, van Tamelen, I must be forgetting some!...)?

You can private message me or email... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe restaraunt recommendations, too?

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

If you go to Jacobs 1 inspect the screen door at the entry for Tom

peterm

Post by peterm »

Lol!

Will do...

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Don't forget the newly discovered Wright - http://www.flwright.us/FLW2107.htm

Bill Swan

Post by Bill Swan »

Peter: I live outside of Madison in Sun Prairie. I don't know any of the owners but Jacobs 1 and Van Tamelan both have websites with contact info. Check out http://www.usonia1.com/ and http://www.vantamelenhouse.com/. A trip to Monona Terrace is also worthwhile to see the Pedro Guerrero photo exhibit and the "Beyond the Drawing Board: The Journey of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Monona Terrace" exhibit below the gift shop. https://www.mononaterrace.com/current-exhibits/

40 minutes or so northeast is Beaver Dam where the Arnold Jackson house was moved. They also have a website with contact info: http://arnoldjacksonhouse.com/

If you are here on Saturday keep in mind there is a Badger football game at Camp Randall (very near Gilmore) at 2:30 so there will be lots of traffic before and after.

As far as restaurants, give me some idea of your interests and I can point you in the right direction.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The owner of Gilmore, whose name I cannot remember for the life of me, was a FLWBC member for a long time, a long time ago. I don't know if she still owns the house, which she inherited from her parents, but she is a very interesting ophthalmologist and teacher, and might open her house for you.

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

Don't forget the Harold C. Bradley house by Louis Sullivan.

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia »

Great idea, Madison is a cosmopolitan small city. Restaurants abound your iPhone can help you find someplace good to eat if you don't just stumble into it. Stop and check out reviews before going in if you're not too daring. Jacobs 2 and Pew aren't very visible from the street, but the others are. When I was viewing the Lamp house from a respectful distance the owner came out on his way to an appointment and told me to go on up and get a better look! He said he was sorry he couldn't show me in!!! Beware of football traffic, that is something not to be trifled with in a big ten city. If you have the time check out the Capital near Monona terrace. State street is a nice diversion as well.

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Roderick Grant wrote:The owner of Gilmore, whose name I cannot remember for the life of me, was a FLWBC member for a long time, a long time ago. I don't know if she still owns the house, which she inherited from her parents, but she is a very interesting ophthalmologist and teacher, and might open her house for you.
Nan Beyer-Mears. I had the pleasure of sharing her table at the Homeowners and Public Sites dinner at the recent FLWBC conference. Incredibly interesting woman, who also happens to own a Wright ... :-)
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

peterm

Post by peterm »

Sequoia- thanks for the heads up about the traffic. I know nothing about football... Do you know which day the "big game" is?

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

peterm wrote:Do you know which day the "big game" is?
Saturday, 2:30 central time (it's not that big - they're playing my daughter's alma mater, Minnesnowta - but traffic anywhere near the stadium and campus will be disrupted pretty much all day)

RonMcCrea

Post by RonMcCrea »

There is a G.W. Maher house next door to Gilmore. Sullivan's Bradley House is a must-see on Prospect Place, also in University Heights between Regent and University.

Sardine restaurant on Williamson Street and East Wilson on Lake Monona in Machinery Row is a favorite restaurant, big airy industrial brasserie with white napkins. Best Italian in Madison is Lombardino's on old University Avenue near the Bradley and Gimore Houses, not far from the Uniitarian Meeting House. Graze (fancy lunch) and L'Etoile (fancy dinner) in the glass bank building on Pinckney Street n the Capitol Square are famous for locally sourced high cuisine. Old Fashioned, also on the Square on Pinckney and Mifflin, is solid Wisconsin fare. For student atmosphere, don't miss the Memorial Union on Langdon, though most students will be away.

The Edgewater hotel at the top of Langdon has a great view and pricey restaurant. Come back and stay longer!
Last edited by RonMcCrea on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

egads

Post by egads »

May I suggest that PETER write that phone number down and Ron needs to edit it out of the public post. (This is what Private Messaging is for) we don't want this women, as interesting as she may be to be harassed.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I've got it in my book...

Tom

Post by Tom »

JChoate wrote:If you go to Jacobs 1 inspect the screen door at the entry for Tom
Indeed, a resolution to that and perhaps I could finally get some sleep.