Zimmerman House Photos

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
flwright

Zimmerman House Photos

Post by flwright »

I am fresh from my honeymoon last week where I was lucky enough to visit the Zimmerman House while in Manchester, NH. This was my first tour of a Wright residence and I must agree with most everyone on this board that all the photographs in the world could not replace the effect of touring a building in person.

Photographs, so I have learned, are complete devoid of the magical feeling you get when you walk into a Wright buidling. The experience is something I won't soon forget. Highly recommended!

Despite this lack of magic, I have posted a few select photos (of the 175 pictures I took) for anyone who is interested. The pictures aren't anything special due to time limits, nor do they reveal much more than what has already been published, even though I gained an extra 15 miuntes with the exterior when the tour guide forgot the keys to the front door! Still, they may be of interest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48418400@N00/

Enjoy!
Morgan

JimM

Post by JimM »

Zimmerman is one of the best houses Wright designed.

dkottum

Zimmerman House

Post by dkottum »

Here is FLLW at his best with scale, space, materials, client, and his magical touch. Also exemplary of how he used trained and skilled apprentices to bring the design to a higher level of perfection during construction, including design modifications. As I have not been there, I do not fully understand the relationship of this house to its site.

As perfect as this very small house is, little has been written about it. It would be interesting to read comments from members of this forum concerning the elements that make the Zimmerman House so outstanding.

How does its diminutive size contribute to its spatial elegance? Why is it severely angled to the street? How does this very limited palette of color and material make such a stunningly beautiful house? Why were client's of above average means able to live richly interesting lives in such a tiny space? Is it truly a museum piece?

Doug Kottum, Battle Lake, MN

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

John Geiger was the apprentice in charge of building Zimmerman. It is his intention to document the experience in detail with historic photographs. I am prodding him on in this venture, as well as the history of the Exhibition House on the Guggneheim site and the M. M. Smith House which he also worked on.

Unbrook

Exhibition House

Post by Unbrook »

Please keep us updated as to what happens. I think the Exhibition House is one of Mr. Wright's more elegant designs. Didn't Tom Monagham buy it in the 1980's. Where is it now?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The disassembled Exhibition House was supposedly stored for many years in David Henkin's basement. He was the force behind the establishment of Pleasantville. For a substantial amount of money, Monaghan got a few bricks and pieces of plywood, not much more. I suppose whatever remnants he got ended up in his FLW museum. Once that closed, I don't know what the disposition of the collection was. It was a masterpiece, which was reproduced for a couple of clients in the 50s ... not quite as successfully. What John proposes to do is follow the development from inception to completion through three design phases. He has most of the text done, but is having trouble collecting photos that are publishable without costing an arm and a leg for rights.