Larkin Administration Building visuals

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JChoate

Post by JChoate »

here's a quick attempt at a photoshop cut & paste collage into the frame Tom identified:

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yippee. What a magnet the building would be, today . . .

(The chosen illustration perpetuates the fallacy that the trim was light-colored, by the way.)

SDR

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Yep. The only color image I could easily find from the relevant angle was someone's two tone assumption.

The earlier comments about monolithic color schemes are interesting to me. Original photos of my own house show unpainted cypress along with red brick. Somewhere along the line, however, someone gave up tending to the cypress discolorations and they solid-stained all the exterior wood red, a shade close to the brick color. Even though it seems against the rules, I think I like it better. The uniformity of the colors allows the form & its articulation to be primary. (and, it certainly is easier to maintain now that 8" wide cypress planks are harder to come by.)
Last edited by JChoate on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

And, regarding the frame in the video that shows what's built there now -- I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to be the architect who designed the 'traditional' hipped-roofed, white dormered building on the site beside where Larkin had been. I imagine he/she ran across the Larkin Building as early as architecture school, not imaging then that they would design their own building next door some day. Once they found themselves there, it appears they eschewed the idea of making reference to the architectural ghost on the site next door. I confess, I would've been tempted to do a little ghost whispering ....

pmahoney

White Dormered building

Post by pmahoney »

The Hipped roof building in the foreground was the rectory of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, it preceded the Administration building on the site by at least fifteen years. Between that building and the Administation building was a steepled church that was also part of Sacred Heart parish. Thirdly to the right of the church was the Sacred Heart School. Larkin bought the parish around 1911 and converted the church into an auditorium. In 1929 they demolished the school for a parking lot. In 1936 they demolished the auditorium for more parking. Half of the existing lot was made parking by Larkin Company. Much less of the Admin Building was really visible from this vantage point before these demolitions.

The Admin bldg was quite abit lower than shown.
Last edited by pmahoney on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes, contextualism could happen in the absence of tangible evidence. One is reminded of Anna Russell's comment about advertising: "Meaning can be created without rationality. It helps explain such things as 'where the yellow went'. . ." (as in the Pepsodent ad line, "You'll wonder where the yellow went !").

Speaking of yellow, Wright's yellow streetcar is an amusing element in the Larkin line rendering on the previous page.

SDR

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Ah, right you are. I should've done my Google Earth homework before jumping to wrong conclusions. In the video image it looks like a fuzzy latter day neo-traditional thing. Up close it's a dignified survivor.

Here's the context:

pmahoney

Larkin Fence Piers

Post by pmahoney »

Keep in mind originally there were three full size Larkin fence piers. Several were added as the church was converted to auditorium and/ or the parking lots were constructed. Today we have one intact Pier and a second phantom built on original foundations.

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Okay, I hastily gave the cut & paste a little shrinkage. (Probably still too close to the factory):

I was initially thrown off perhaps by this image, which shows empty land nearby (probably omissions for clarity).

It looks like the Admin building was roughly the same height as the factory.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Sacred Heart church in a Wright rendering -- from Pat

Shadow of church spire on Larkin -- sun at 45º ?

SDR

pmahoney

Height of Larkin Buildings

Post by pmahoney »

The Administration building was roughly 77' from sidewalk to stone cap of the top story. We recently measured the factories at 104' from sidewalk to top of the parapet (keep in mind there is a slope to the site of several feet over the block.)

SDR

Post by SDR »

Detail of atlas view of Larkin site, 1915, Quinan p 19:

Detail of aerial photo, 1928, Quinan p 20; Sacred Heart seems to have lost its spire:

SDR

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Okay, so the Admin building was only 3/4 the height of the factory? That old aerial rendering took some creative license then, judging from the persective lines heading toward the vanishing points.

Here's one last shrink before it disappears altogether (George Costanza's got nothing on my Larkin cut & paste when it comes to shrinkage)

SDR

Post by SDR »

http://buffaloah.com/h/larkin/admin/photos.html

Two more (undated) aerials:

And another street view:

Water tank at left can be found on the drawing above, to the left of the turntable. We don't get to admire this elevation of Wright's building
often enough. It seems strong evidence of his ability to arrange a desirable composition while satisfying the program requirements. Even
the classic imperative of a centered opening (i.e., an odd number of bays) is observed. (Or is that a Romantic/Renaissance imperative ?)

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

These shots are great.
The shadow of the spire is closely and impressively observed.
The turn table is a surprise.
It must have caught Wright's attention.

What do you suppose that grid is:
On the top of Larkin,
in this last shot?

The site plan from Quinan shows a curve on the north side in the plan of the building where the arched delivery entry was.
Wonder what that's about?

The automobile did a lot of harm here.