Larkin Administration Building visuals

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Thank you, David. Your memorial to the Larkin building makes you an architectural visualizer now, I would say ! And your English needs no apology, either. Keep up the good work, and thanks for letting us see it.

SDR

Matt

Post by Matt »

Great renders. Really eye opening as to the colors. I hadn't realized the interior was entirely of buff colored brick rather than the red brick. The color of the mortar on the inside would also be interesting pin down as I imagine it would have been a color closer to the brick color.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I wouldn't say, however, that any of us will ever know enough about this ghost, to reproduce it perfectly.

If there's doubt that Wright saw this building as a monochrome rose, a rich red brick on the landscape, here is more evidence -- as I see it.

I don't take it as accidental that the building -- all of it, right down to the edge of the sidewalk -- is outlined, hard, in red. The orb sculpture alone is carefully kept from the red.

And 25 years later, someone makes sure that the rose tone is present, again right to the pavement, in one of the memorable ink drawings made by Henry Klumb (before his
departure) and others. The Robie and Unity Temple drawings in this set are noted as being drawing with brown and blue inks; is it red tempera beneath black ink in this one ?

And, just for fun, a better look at one of the postcards, made to publicize the company and colored by others, surely, but showing the building entirely in "brick."

images © 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

DRN

Post by DRN »

I was initially surprised to see Larkin as a monochrome composition, but on further thought, some of its precedents in Wright's experience are monochrome. LHS's Wainwright building is an example.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Unity Temple and the Guggenheim come to mind; will we find only major structures ?

BBP's realization of the Jester project is monochromatic, but I guess we can't pin that one on Mr Wright . . .

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Peter's Lamberson house is monochromatic so far; I'm hoping to talk him into leaving the exterior woodwork red, as I love the effect.

How lovely it is, right up to the chimney flashing. And the roofing is exactly the right shade.

The painted trim wasn't Wright's specification, I suppose, so it won't last. Enjoy it now . . . !

SDR

David

Post by David »

A minor detail: In the pipe organ, there is a triptych. Does anyone know what picture was?

Image[/img]

Incidentally, I just noticed that my pipe organ has a few errors ...

This is an image difficult to see I found on the internet:
Last edited by David on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

pmahoney

Larkin Organ- installed 1925

Post by pmahoney »

The organ was installed in 1925 as a gift from John D. Larkin. Wright was not involved in the installation.

http://database.organsociety.org/Single ... anID=45259

SDR

Post by SDR »

The cross-bars of the decorative elements above the organ pipes want to be longer. The device reminds me of the Lincoln auto insignia from the 'fifties and 'sixties:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... n_logo.svg

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Pat sends a pic of a Larkin interior brick, with a bit of mortar attached:

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Two videos, for those who have time for viewing --

1. current status of Larkin related real estate. I couldn't quite place the ghost of the Larkin Building relative to the site shown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSF8Mg ... e=youtu.be

2. a Pratt professor's lecture involving Larkin, Unity Temple, and Martin. Some interesting drawings involved. Not sure about the profundity of the thesis put forward:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-JmiG ... e=youtu.be

Tom

Post by Tom »

On video #1 at minute mark 2:21 the building site is dead ahead in-between the streets that split and behind (or on) the low brick building with shingle hipped roof.
Considering the effort gone into revitalizing the district really makes the pain of the demo all the more bitter. ...

pmahoney

Larkin Admin Bldg Site

Post by pmahoney »

Try Google Maps at 680 Seneca Street, Buffalo, New York or use this link:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Phant ... 5?hl=en-US

Colored portions of the sidewalk at the street are visible marking Larkin's boundary, Atrium and Main Entry
Last edited by pmahoney on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Regarding the Lobell lecture: I'm not surprised that anybody derived a set of rules to generate Wright forms.
It's interesting to me but not really 'profound' as Choate suggests.
What's amazing is that Wright originated the"rules" in the first place.

SDR

Post by SDR »

How wonderful it would be to have the building there, today . . .

On the Stiny diagrams, how do we know that Wright consciously conceived of the "rules" and formulas which are deduced from examples of his work ? I'd say we don't know that.

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.