Wes Peters Home for Sale, 80 Acres-Black Earth, Wisconsin

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Patryko

Wes Peters Home for Sale, 80 Acres-Black Earth, Wisconsin

Post by Patryko »

There was an ad for this home in my 'On Wisconsin' Alumni magazine that arrived today. It is a big Wes Peters home for sale in Black Earth, Wisconsin near Taliesin East, on 80 acres. Here's the link:

http://snip.ly/puk4p#http://www.movetom ... h_wi_53515

SDR

Post by SDR »

Replace that tile at the entry -- with stone ? -- and I'm in.

I wonder what stone floors would have done for the interiors, including the big circular living space. Either random slates or a random-coursed array of stone tiles would have been a fitting alternative, as I see it, for such large surfaces. I suppose there are owners who aren't happy with anything but wall-to-wall carpet.

Can't designers see that introducing a rectangular grid such as a tiled floor can negate the spacial characteristics of houses such as Wright's ? The recently-viewed Kinney example is just one among many examples . . .

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

If I remember correctly this house is attributed to WWP only because Davy Davidson (or some other apprentice) was not a licensed architect and WWP was licensed in all 50 states.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

wjsaia

Wes Peters Only Signed the Drawings . . .

Post by wjsaia »

Yes, one sees this misattribution repeatedly.

Allen Lape ("Davy") Davison designed this house, but even the initial construction represented a profoundly diminished fulfillment of his admirable vision and skillful effort. I don't know the details of how the project came to be reduced in scope and, to some extent quality, in the manner that it did, but Davy was in fragile and declining health, and the trajectory for a worthy realization readily slipped out of his control. Maybe Rood could provide some perspective on that, but perhaps we'd best leave it alone. Sadly, I fear it was an undeserved, very unhappy chapter for Davy, coming near the end of his life.

Davy planned no tile floor finish for the Entry. Although it was much nicer at first than what we see now as carpeting, Davy had intended none--floor finish was to be colored concrete, and the Living Room fireplace didn't have the raised hearth. Perhaps that was someone's later effort to reduce opening size and thereby improve the draw of smoke up the chimney.

There are more particulars on this earlier thread:

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewt ... light=davy

WJS

DRN

Post by DRN »

A significant number of moveable furnishings designed for this house have been sold away in recent years. Most circular themed pieces attributed to Wes Peters on Wright20 and other similar auction catalogs over the last few years are from this house.

https://www.wright20.com/search/peters

See lots 359,360,364,365 for the May 2003 auction.

A great house to say the least, even with the compromises it has suffered.
Last edited by DRN on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The fenestration of the curved walls is very interesting. Modern architecture doesn't always work well for very large houses, but this is certainly well thought out and successful.