San Francisco Butterfly Bridge

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Rood

San Francisco Butterfly Bridge

Post by Rood »

Anyone remember if there is a thread for the Butterfly Bridge for San Francisco Bay? I must be doing something wrong when I try "Search", because all I get is a list of 150 pages of threads. I actually started going through those 150 pages, one-by-one, but that's a terribly tedious job, and for all I know there isn't a thread.

The reason I'm curious is that I've found an ink drawing that appears to be an early conception sketch of the Bay Bridge design. Of course the next problem would be getting the sketch on this site ... something that appears to be above my abilities.

I have a copy of the sketch on my computer.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Rood. Yes, searching can be frustrating. If two words are selected, they must be separated by AND. But that only helps somewhat.

I searched "butterfly" and got 49 hits, this among them:

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=4375

You may use my e-mail address to send me the item, in any form you choose, and I should be able to post it here.

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Rood provides images:

A reinforced concrete pedestrian freeway overpass in Oslo, Norway:

SDR

Post by SDR »

Oh, yes -- he also provided this link -- which will explain what we've seen:

http://www.history.com/news/students-us ... ice-bridge

Rood detects a similarity between Leonardo's early-sixteenth-century design and Wright's.

SDR

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

Iirc, the movie Die Hard has a model of the Butterfly Bridge in it.

DRN

Post by DRN »

There is also a TV news crew in the Die Hard film with FLW in their call letters.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I've seen parts of a movie in which some scenes are shot at the Ennis house. The resident is, of course, evil . . . in keeping with the time-honored tradition in Hollywood of giving the bad guy the modern house.

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

Ennis has been in a number of films. The two I remember seeing are "The Rocketeer" and "Black Rain" from the '80's or '90's.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah. It was "The Glimmer Man," with Steven Seagal and Keenan Ivory Wayans . . .

SDR

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

The TV show Sightings had an episode titled Ghost Report which has parts filmed in the Ennis house.

Rood

Post by Rood »

I discovered da Vinci's 1502 bridge design for the Golden Horn while researching the new, 2.5 billion dollar third bridge over the Bosporus, which is scheduled to open in a few weeks.

Da Vinci's elevation drawing immediately caught my eye, and recalled FLLWright's Butterfly Bridge for San Francisco Bay. Of course da Vinci's bridge was designed to be built of stone, whereas Wright's bridge was based on reinforced concrete, but still there are striking similarities.

To have also discovered that variations of the da Vinci design have recently been constructed ... in wood and in "ice", and that preliminary plans have been made to construct his Galata Bridge over the Golden Horn ... also suggests that under the right circumstances Wright's Butterfly Bridge might yet see the light of day. We can only hope that it doesn't take 500 years.

A letter now in the Topkapi Museum from da Vinci to the Sultan, translated into Arabic, suggests da Vinci also proposed a suspension bridge over the Bosporus!

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galata_Bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzbaB7KMQ2Y

SDR

Post by SDR »

". . . to pump water with a machine powered by its own motion. . ." (3:46)

Perpetual motion is a concept routinely dismissed by physicists and mechanical engineers. I am surprised to see it mentioned (in translation) by Leonardo, whose inventions seem to be based on sound physics.

SDR