Como Orchard and rustic Wright

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

The pair of photos on the steinrag page (linked above) say it all. But Wright must have been disappointed by the actual
construction of the cabins, with their pedestrian detailing. Here's a photo of a fireplace; does this look like Wright to you,
even on a budget ?

photo W A Storrer

His note for the desired stonemasonry, in the specs, reads "Set stone in projecting craggy fashion, not smooth and even
surface -- inside and out. Mortar joint deep and raked out." I suppose he got roughly (hem) what he asked for.

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

Some more from Steiner:

http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%2 ... RtS144.htm

It would appear Como was supervised minimally or not at all, and most of what was built has been lost. Neat design on paper though.

If you want to view the Montana site as it is today call up this address on GoogleEarth:

634 Bunkhouse Lane Darby, MT

This address is the green roof building that occupies the approximate site of the lost Clubhouse.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Mr Steiner is lavish in his visual dissection of plates from Wasmuth -- presented in a pleasant golden glow.

SDR

Iowegian63

Post by Iowegian63 »

If memory serves, the visitor center at the Lowell Walter House (Cedar Rock) in Quasqueton, Iowa, its based on one of the Como Orchard cottages.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that. Hundreds of photos online of the house; not a single one of the visitor center. I'll have to take your word . . . !

SDR

Iowegian63

Post by Iowegian63 »

SDR wrote:Thanks for that. Hundreds of photos online of the house; not a single one of the visitor center. I'll have to take your word . . . !

SDR
yes I spent 15 minutes looking for an online image before I posted. And as many times as I have been there for some reason I never took a single snap of the visitor center.

SDR

Post by SDR »

So, does it read as a board-and-batten cabin with 38-inch-wide sash, exposed structure, and wide overhangs ? As a bonus, do its 4x4 posts rest on flat stones on the ground ? (Kinda doubt that last one -- unless the maker was really intent on a fresh copy of a Como cabin . . . !)

SDR

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

Wright had some other flirtations with rusticity. The Gale cottages (S.088.0 - S.088.3) had no indoor plumbing for example. Nor did the Gerts cottages or Spencer.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thank you, clydethecat. It is perhaps unfortunate that, with these two groups of summer "camps" (as they're called in certain parts of the country), we don't have perspectives
or elevations by the architect which we could compare to those already seen. But Professor Storrer's photos are helpful, and his descriptive and historical material are as well.

ImageImage

"The original rear space became a fifth bedroom, furnace room, and dining room." What -- all at once ?

ImageImage
materials © 1993 William Allin Storrer

images © 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

ImageImage
materials © 1993 William Allin Storrer

image © 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Pitkin Cabin, the largest and most splendid of the unplumbed rustics, had an outdoor "water closet," with a two-seater.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well done. The Pitkin file contains a startling presentation perspective, a very robust example of the house style. When did Miss Mahony join the studio ?

SDR

Post by SDR »

And immediately adjacent to the above entry in Taschen I, the Charles Ross "summerhouse" presents a somewhat more substantial version of the construction we're looking at . . .

all images © 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Geiger spent a lot of time drawing parallels between Ross and Fallingwater. I'm not sure how far he got on his essay, but his ideas were well-grounded.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Really. I wonder what he was seeing. Do you know ?

I see a lot of the '41 Oldsmobile front end in the "fabric" of the Pauson facade.

Can anyone think that this pairing in the well-known photo is merely coincidence . . . ?

photo © Pedro Guerrero

PS -- There's a striped beach blanket (or equal) on the bedroom balcony.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I once saw a photo of one of those grossly overscaled 60s cars, enormous body fore and aft and a tiny (by comparison) passenger space and roof on top, posed in front of Tomek. The resemblance, intentional or not, was hard to miss.