Saturday Night at Taliesin

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Mark Hertzberg

Saturday Night at Taliesin

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

My review of "The Fellowship" was posted at www.wrightinracine.com as a prelude to our Saturday Night at Taliesin invitation last week. A new story, in the context of the book, with many photos, is now up on the site.

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg

hypnoraygun

Post by hypnoraygun »

Great Photos Mark! That would have been an amazing evening..!

SpringGreen

night at Taliesin

Post by SpringGreen »

I'm surprised they let you through the front door having read THE BOOK. Hope you had a good time....

Later: I've just read your posting. It looks like you did have a nice evening. It's a real privelage to be able to just BE in that living room without lots of others around.

Viewing the apprentices' work is always a highlight of the year. They do design some very cool things; and Sidy was a well liked apprentice.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The photos indicate that the Hoffman rug has been returned to the living room. That is disappointing. Olga had that made (in different colors from the original) after FLW died. If he had wanted that rug in the room, he would have done it himself. It doesn't belong there and should be removed.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Roderick Grant wrote:The photos indicate that the Hoffman rug has been returned to the living room. That is disappointing. Olga had that made (in different colors from the original) after FLW died. If he had wanted that rug in the room, he would have done it himself. It doesn't belong there and should be removed.

I had the same thought; but then, the "year of significance" is 1959, and Olga was still on the scene. :wink:

Maybe they needed to clean the Persians and Chinese? If I recall, there was a matching Hoffman runner hanging from the balcony, which is not in the photo.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The runner was down the gallery past the loggia, originally planned for the Hoffman bedroom hallway. I believe the rug was not installed until the early 60s. Even if Olga had it installed on April 10, 1959, it does not belong in that house. It's out of time and place, and only shows how totally ignorant Olga was of her husband's work, like that damn gold wall. It would be akin to Paul Harding topping off his Davenport restoration with a living room full of Auldbrass repros. There is certainly nothing wrong with the original Hoffman design (which should be in hues similar to the carpet in David Wright's living room) and Hoffman would benefit from adding it, but at Taliesin it is just wrong!

EJ

Post by EJ »

I agree with Mr. Grant. Another example of Olgivanna meddling where she did not belong and where she was completely over her head.

She is a scary person to contemplate. There she was, collecting all of these acolytes (many of whom are still there today) and advising them about their lives while her daughter is a complete basket case. I think history is now judging her as it should. Poorly.
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

SpringGreen

Hoffman rug

Post by SpringGreen »

The Hoffman rug was returned to the house because the Asian rug that had been there was literally falling apart (i.e., you could see through it) and the money does not exist to repair that rug or purchase a replica at this time.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

When was it returned to the house? Where had it been, and for how long?

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg

JimM

Post by JimM »

Roderick Grant wrote:The runner was down the gallery past the loggia, originally planned for the Hoffman bedroom hallway.

hmm.... I have a number of photos showing a matching fabric or carpet hanging over the living room balcony (above the hall leading to the Blue Loggia). If it isn't a runner, it must have had some connection to Hoffman. Didn't Olga have the carpet made for Taliesin? Perhaps she had the fabric made for the balcony?

NickSpellman

Hofffman Rug

Post by NickSpellman »

When I visited Taliesin several years ago the aging Asian rugs were in the living room. The Hoffman rug was at Hillside.

SpringGreen

Post by SpringGreen »

When was it returned to the house? Where had it been, and for how long?
The rug was returned in the spring of 2006. For a number of years--in the 1990s and after the turn of the century--it was on the Hillside living room floor. However, the backing was coming off and it desparately needed to be cleaned by an expert. So it was put in storage for several years.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The living room would look better with the rug with holes, or without a rug at all, than with Hoffman. The design is terribly discordant. Perhaps it should be offered to the Tisches in exchange for a donation for an Oriental carpet?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I have always thought that colorful geometric pattern -- so typical of Wright's late graphic play -- ill-suited the Taliesin living room (if only in the photos I had seen). I'm glad to have further information about its doings there.

I grew up in the town where the Hoffman house is located. When North Manursing Island was not gated, in the mid-late fifties, another architecture buff and I [!] rode our bicycles to the house; I recall pink crushed stone in the driveway. I have seen VERY few photos of the house -- Architectural Disgust did a story on the house about ten years ago.

SDR

"Out of the ground, into the light."
Last edited by SDR on Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RJH

Post by RJH »

SDR, I was at the house 2 weeks ago and have 99 photos. Email me at Richard@HaynesHouseLLC.com and I'll email them to you. All I ask is a thank you and your comments in return. I've emailed them to others without even so much as a "thank you" in return.